HybridZ

RB20DET into my 240Z

70 Cam Guy

My buddy in San Diego is running a Rb20 in his 280z with a t3/t4 turbo, 750cc injectors, top mount exhaust manifold, and few other things. Last time I talked to him he was pulling 450 at the wheel !

:blink: whoa! That's some real power out of the 2 liter!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha dont worry about what other people think. your swap is cleaaan and im sure you will be happy with your new setup

Thanks! And just to be official, I double checked the Summit order and was reminded the Lokar cable started as 48"

:cheers:

A quick update on the car, the guys have been busy and have been doing some wiring changes. It's not stalling anymore but I think there's a feedback issue with something. I didn't get a chance to talk much about it tonight

Also, I was a little concerned about the state of my turbo. There's been a persistent noise since we first started it, like it wasn't getting oil or something. It got a little better since starting it but it's still there. We know for certain it's getting oil but it still sounds like a dry bearing is rolling around in the thing. It's most prominent when the turbo spins down.

As a result of the noise, and the extreme desire to find one, I jumped on an ebay auction today and won a single HKS GT2530 turbo. I've been watching almost 3 months now for one to come along! In the pictures you can see it has the Skyline exhaust housing, which means it's T3 to the manifold and a 6-bolt exhaust. I can't wait to see it and install it. My track record for used turbos has not been good so far, so I've got my fingers crossed that it's a good one. These are supposed to be great turbos for the RB20's based on everything I've seen on Skylines Australia.

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

awesome progress! im actually also located in walnut creek, and in the process of an rb20swap in my 240z. but like you, i have tons of other projects going on. great to hear your almost done with it! i would love to come check it out sometime when its up and running. dont see too many other modded z's around here, i drive a silver 06 350z, and im always in walnut creek, you might have seen me around. anyways good luck on the rest of the swap!

Definitely we'll have to meet up. I heard the 1stGenCelica guys are starting to get a local meet going in Concord at the Seafood City. They had one last night and I believe are shooting for the 1st Friday each month. If it's on, it would be cool to get a few Z's out there

I probably have seen your Z. I have been waved at a couple times by guys in newer ones. S30's get a good amount of attention from all types of people.

I talked to the wiring guru at the shop today. He's been chasing down a power feedback issue that keeps the engine running when attempting to shut it off. He's been working on a couple projects for them, a megasquirt harness for an AE86, and a 4AGZE swap into an old liftback Celica, so he's been juggling a bit.

yeah i know what you mean about everyone liking s30's, my 350 is heavily modified, carbon fiber everywhere, loud, wheels etc, and i dont get near half the attention as i do with my faded orange 72 with konig rewinds on it lol. i cant wait to get my rb in, youve given me motivation to start hustling on it!

the wiring thing, from my understanding you need to install a diode into the electrical on it, as the modern alternator will continue running and wont know when to shut off, or something along those lines, i read it somewhere long ago and im trying to find it but cant at the moment, ill keep looking.

other than that yeah theres tons of little meets that go down around concord, pleasant hill and whatnot, im out of the country untill halfway through the month but after i get back definately.

Edited by dal2kvvisp

I hadn't even thought about that but I think he was talking about testing the relays they installed. I've had the diode plug from MSA for a while now. The internal regulated alternator has been on the L24 for over a year now. I'll mention it though, maybe it's a simple case of overlooking it.

Yay more local people! We should all roll out to the seafood city meet once your car is done Andy! hopefully mine will still be running haha

I wish I lived up north ! Its so much nicer up that way !

Yay more local people! We should all roll out to the seafood city meet once your car is done Andy! hopefully mine will still be running haha

Hell yeah it'll be great to meet everyone. It'll be cool if your car is still running, triple carbs have to make an appearance at any Z meet. The Toyota guys run anything from carb to modern EFI engines. A couple of the guys have S2000 swaps. Pretty cool actually because they still sound like an angry Toyota engine running.

Not sure if this media tag will work but I tried out a free camera we got at work tonight. In the video you can hear me telling my friend to rev the engine. Lol I wanted to see if the mic was going to break up at the volume.

Anyway, we think the stalling problem is solved but still need to swap out the turbos. We recalibrated the TPS in the AFC NEO and set the DEC AIR function. We are thinking it helped the atmospheric blow off issue, and is helping with the turbulence with the MAF sensor. You can hear the dreadful vacuum noise from the turbo as it spins down in a couple spots.

Sorry about the 1 speaker audio, I couldn't figure out how to change it to mono audio.

Thanks everyone!

A quick update, today I got the speedo figured out. I removed the speedo module from the ZX 5-speed and put my yellow gear on the module for my stock rear end. I installed it in the RB transmission and it clearly wasn't mating to the drive gear because of the smaller speedo gear diameter, so I rotated the module until it contacted the drive gear. I could tell because I couldn't spin the speedo plug anymore. I marked the module with a sharpie and removed it. Using a hack saw, I made a new notch/landing for the speedo module toe clamp.

I buttoned everything thing back up and gave it a try on the jacks, and I have a working stock speedo!! :)

All in all, it didn't take too long. There was probably more time into thinking about how to make it work and what the best tool would be to notch the module. The speedo gear is off center in the module so it is like a bolt with an eccentric in a way.

The oil feed line came yesterday and fitting today so the turbo should be installed very soon. I'm optimistic but hope there's no more ZZZzzzzzz ZZzzzzzz noise from the CHRA bearings :blink:

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

nice! pretty cool tip on the speedo sensor. I was just curious..but since you went with the volvo mounts, what driveshaft did you end up using? I thought that was pretty cool you guys were able to find a OEM solution that should be pretty cheap to replicate.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was going to work but I wanted to try so I could keep a working odometer. I drove it to put some gas in it (and then back to the shop), and the speedo is working nicely. Sometimes we surprise ourselves :D

To answer your question, I am using the same driveshaft I had on the car with the ZX 5-speed. It slid right into the RB20 transmission. The engine looks like it sits a little forward but it's really not bad. Part of the appeal was the fact that the stock driveshaft would still work.