HybridZ

Wiring Help Needed (Bay Area)

CArFAn

Okay i have been working on a engine swap for my 1973 Datsun 240z, the engine i'm using is from a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo. I got the engine rebuilt and its ready to run kinda. I have been following this website as a wiring guide ( http://www.supracharged.com/tech/wiring/index.shtml ) and so far i have got all the wires listed and made my own harness for them. I got as far as getting the motor to turn over but not by key. I'm currently working on getting spark from the coils and ignitor. I have successfully shocked myself 4 times. I wanted to do this by myself and its hard asking for help but im getting tired of this and need some help. So anyone that can help me get this thing running before i drop it back into the car shoot me a PM. Will pay in beer, $$, or handshakes.

Engine is out of the car on a hoist but still able to turn over and be worked on i have most tools minus a multimeter that i just lost. Any questions post here or shoot me a pm.

Mods if in wrong section please move.

Thanks, Marquise B.

Edited by CArFAn

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I would not use some hokey pokey wiring instructions I found on a forum. My suggestion is to use a factory wiring diagram and duplicate everything the engine needs as close to factory as possible using parts that are available to you. Also do you have the diagnostic connector and some sort of mil light connected to your harness? You don't even need a scan tool to get OBD1 codes so having a mil and diagnostic connector can help a lot in finding problems with wiring. Also since it has been rebuilt ensure your distributor is installed correctly and jumping the pins in the diagnostic connector to reset timing may help.