HybridZ

Turned Over for 20 Seconds & Died

joker120

I received two working ecm's off a member here on the site and just today got around to throwing one in there. Both are known good ecms and I'll be damned if I just didn't fry one.

I've got the test light out and can't get anything at the starter or relay and at a total loss as where to begin. I've read the endless accounts of this headache and have searched my butt off already.

Anyone care to point me in a direction as to why it may be frying the ecm's and where to start trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and patience.

RK

The most informative part of your post and title is "78 all oem Nissan 280z" in your sig. Seriously, you don't give much information. There is a high probability of shedding here.

With your test light you should be able to at least tell what does have power. Battery to fusible links to ignition switch, etc. That's where I would begin. Track the power path until you find the break.

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams? Does the ECU even control power to the ignition relay and starter? I'm not at my home computer, or I'd take a quick look. Download the FSM and look through the Engine Fuel and Body Electrical sections.

Yeah you should be pointed Westward when typing your description up for us detailing exaclty what happened when you did what. Did you kill your batterey, did your starter die, did you blow a fusable link, did your key break off in the ignition column of your 1981 Datsun 210 wagon? What does turning over for 20 seconds and then dying have to do with your ECU exactly? Because as the guy above addressed we dont know what your talking about.

We have no idea if your engine doesnt crank when you turn the key to start or if your engine cranks and will not fire up. So be specific and we will be happy to try and help.

And I must say I wish I had saw your avitar picture like back in Febuary before I lit myself on fire in my living room(true story IC for 13 days and a few scars later).

Everything has been tested, including the fusible links, I was under the assumption it wouldn't be elementary..

My question directly relates as to what can be frying theses ecms. It has spark, fuel and air and is in time. My question as originally stated is what may be frying these damn things before I go insane-r:lol

This ain't my fist rodeo, just my second but I'm tryin for a buckle guys... I'm about to say to hell with it and just get mega squirt and ditch this crap.

Everything has been tested, including the fusible links, I was under the assumption it wouldn't be elementary..

My question directly relates as to what can be frying theses ecms. It has spark, fuel and air and is in time. My question as originally stated is what may be frying these damn things before I go insane-r:lol

This ain't my fist rodeo, just my second but I'm tryin for a buckle guys... I'm about to say to hell with it and just get mega squirt and ditch this crap.

Your still far to vague.

So your ECU is burned out, but you have fuel and that ecu is still controlling injectors and delivering fuel.

You have spark so can we assume your engine is turning over with the starter?

How can you have spark, fuel, and air, but not turn over...

Without a better picture via your description Im completely inclinded to say, go MS.

Edited by rayaapp2

Yes it turns over but won't fire then promptly fries an ecm....

everything checks out as far as I can tell and I have the diagnostics. It seems as if it's just frying them some how for no logical reason.

The injectors are hitting, pull a cap and there's fire at the plug so I'm at a loss here fellas

You might have a ground issue that is causing the car to draw current through the ecu because it is seeking ground.

I would make sure you have good ground from battery negative to body as well from battery negative to engine.

It's easy to get a 10 dollar cable from auto zone with ring terminals on each end and install it from a bolt on the engine to a clean spot on the body.