HybridZ

Back on the jacks

jakeoster

Well I got to drive the car for 20 or so miles so I guess it's time to get serious. My fuel system is a steaming load of you know what. No protection from fuel starvation, loud buzz, jury rigged fuel lines, fumes in cabin. It's already leaking after 20 miles. I'm done screwing around.

I'm going to be doing a full overhaul and I had a question about the fuel pressure regulator. I know there's one on the fuel rail already. But I'm going to upgrade to a high flowing, high pressure pump and was wondering if I should get the Nismo FPR that goes on the fuel rail or an external one, such as an Aeromotive. Does the Nismo have the ability to regulate a high pressure, high flowing pump or is it only suited for a mild upgrade such as a walbro?

Thanks.

On my rb I used the nismo it did the job but I had to put a gauge on it everytime. I know I could of added a gauge but really didn't have the room.. On my 1jz I put a aeromotive With a port for a gauge and it's bad ass. They are almost the same price. The aeromotive looks better IMO.

I went with an External FPR. I don't have the car running yet, so i can't really say much more. I was thinking of using something like this in place of the stock regulator.

Edit: You might want to think about a surge tank too. That will help with the fuel starvation.

Edited by motoman

So if I go with an aeromotive would I have to eliminate the stock one on the fuel rail?

I'll have the fuel starvation issue sorted out, no more messing around with that. As for the Power FC I sent it to Apexi and they are going to repair it.

There is an aluminum adapter you can buy for the stock rail which replaces the stock FPR with a male AN fitting. Its like 15 bucks. If you look the STi's and WRX's have a similar rail and their adapter fits our rails. At least that is what I used. No point and switching out the rail too unless you have a set of injectors too that needs a new rail as well. So go buy an Aeromotive FPR, and the adapter and your in the running for cheaper than the Nismo and have a gauge too. You might want to look into getting something like a TT Supra in tank pump or run duals. Just off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who has actually "starved" and blown up their RB on this site from improper fueling. The plumbing adds up super quick... You can always just cut and weld a sump on your tank, put the supra pump in a rack and presto. A solid fuel setup without running a mortgage's worth of AN fittings.

Yes you will have to eliminate the stock fpr.

Thanks for that adapter. I was leaning towards the Nismo because I have my boost controller hooked up to that (I think? Arnt home to look at it right now). How would I hook up my boost controller with the Aeromotive?

Edited by jakeoster

Thanks for that adapter. I was leaning towards the Nismo because I have my boost controller hooked up to that (I think? Arnt home to look at it right now). How would I hook up my boost controller with the Aeromotive?

Your boost controller shouldn't have anything to do with your FPR vacuum\ boost reference. That is one line you don't want to T into. It controls the rate in which your FPR will ramp under boost. Your boost controller should be referenced off your intake manifold pressure to get the most accurate idea of what the vehicle is actually ingesting, pressure wise.

The Nismo unit has gotten good reviews but you are stuck with plumbing in a gauge before hand for fuel pressure and you are stuck with stock sized, barbed lines. However the install is easy. Stock FPRs will leak over time with a strong pump as a side note.

Glad the adapter helped someone, most hot rod guys will have an aeromotive or similar fpr around the shop so its a quick way to put it to use. Oh and the "HKS" version is about 50-90$ ... so might want to stick with generic.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet fuel cell!

If I recall, the fuel pressure is closer to 3 bar (43-44psi).

For my fuel rail, I have the Tomei adapter from FRSport. I bought it with the 90 degree elbow and barb but there's an AN fitting too.

http://www.frsport.com/Fuel-Pressure-Regulator_c_113.html

rail adapter - http://www.frsport.com/Tomei-185106-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Adapter-Nissan-Subaru-Toyota_p_16572.html

-6 AN - http://www.frsport.com/Tomei-185105-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Fitting-1-8-NPT-AN6_p_16585.html

Thanks for the response. I've been stag on the project as of late due to other commitments.

I just uncovered today that I am going to need a fuel pump controller. They are $300 and I have to wait for my apexi power fc to come back from repairs to hook it up I presume because it needs a tach signal and I'm fairly certain I fried my tach signal a while back by accident. Fun fun fun ;)