HybridZ

Experienced Electrician in SD needed for L28et-->240z

Im in need of an experienced electrician that would like to make some extra $. I am currently involved in an engine swap and i have reached the electrical aspect of things and i have an IDEA of what needs to be done however this being my first time with the "hands on" on the electrical and parts being rare for this cars id rather not screw anything up. the electrical components and swap is from a 1983 Datsun 280zx Turbo (stick-shift) the wiring needs to be adapted/spliced/merged/etc with that of a 1972 Datsun 240z.

i have some charts i dug up from online car forums that explain what needs to go where. But being unfamiliar with the field and terms i need the help. i also have the Haynes manual for both years and models of the car for reference on the harnesses.

-Electrician needs to be experienced and efficient

-needs to bring his own tools to facilitate his job ( i have some tools/tape etc just in case tough)

-Must come to the car's location in my day off (will discuss over phone)

-If he/she has experience with this particular swap EVEN BETTER.

i will be helping out and watching throughout the process so i know what needed to be done and for educational purposes.

Let me know how much you'd charge for the help or whatever either via PM here or text 619-787-7671

thanks for looking

Think twice, no three times before you ask an electrician to wire your car. I have been a licensed electrician for over 30 years and I have been wiring cars a lot longer than that. Cars are a different breed, the techniques, methods, parts, circuit layout, voltage drops, even wire is specific to auto use. Look for a good automotive electrical guy. Even after all these years I have to remember to think "car". They really are two different species.

Superduner, be sure to tell whoever comes to help that all you have is the L28ET and the ECCS harness and ECU.

They're going to need to be able to wire the coil and ignitor (your 240Z coil and transistor ignition stuff won't work and you don't have the 280ZXT coil / headlamp washer harness)

They're going to need to wire the main power to the ECCS System, provide fusable links or something equivalent, wire and possibly provide EFI and fuel pump relays. (Do you have an electric fuel pump?)

They'll need to figure out the Alternator / Charging system and modify as necessary.

Plus they'll either have to know about your #2 and #3 main harness connectors (since the wiring doesn't match the circuit diagram) or they'll have to trace that wiring out to get it connected properly...

It may take more than a day.

I wouldn't mind leaving Phoenix for San Diego this time of year, but it'd cost you way to much to get me there - sigh...

• 1 month later...

just my luck... lol good sh!3t man thanks for the info. VERY usefull. with that being said i can print your part out and make a check list to break things down on the to do list to get her running. on a BRIGHTER note:

went to the junkyard the other day looking for parts for my 240SX S13 and ran into a 280zx that was missing the head and valve cover and turbo components (turbo, manifold etc etc) BUT!! the electrical was all there... so i was like SCORE! here's the coil, boost controler sensor thing, and ignitor wiring. so i traced it as far back as i could under the dash but god knows where it went. didnt have all day so decided to cut the wires as far up into the dashboard as i could and took it home. at least now i got the wiring. just gotta figure out WHERE them wires get hooked up too haha. something is better than nothing i assume.

STILL looking for help here in SD that can charge to get it done tough. :( honestly id rather not Fk anything up... itl end up costing me more that way haha. i can sure as hell pick my battles... and electrical sure isnt one of them

Superduner, be sure to tell whoever comes to help that all you have is the L28ET and the ECCS harness and ECU.

They're going to need to be able to wire the coil and ignitor (your 240Z coil and transistor ignition stuff won't work and you don't have the 280ZXT coil / headlamp washer harness)

They're going to need to wire the main power to the ECCS System, provide fusable links or something equivalent, wire and possibly provide EFI and fuel pump relays. (Do you have an electric fuel pump?)

They'll need to figure out the Alternator / Charging system and modify as necessary.

Plus they'll either have to know about your #2 and #3 main harness connectors (since the wiring doesn't match the circuit diagram) or they'll have to trace that wiring out to get it connected properly...

It may take more than a day.

I wouldn't mind leaving Phoenix for San Diego this time of year, but it'd cost you way to much to get me there - sigh...

• 4 weeks later...

STILL looking for somebody in the area that knows how or HAS done the swap and can help out with the wiring. i seriously just want to get this car running STOCK i dont care at this point. been looking for an electrician that wants to come over and make some extra bucks but no luck finding anybody. :(

I'm in SAN DIEGO so if anybody knows of a good referal or anybody reading this wants to make some extra $ and help get another Z on the road shoot me a PM

PLEASE!!!

• 1 year later...

well, I would be your man if I had the time. I currently break the minds and souls of Marine Corp recruits down at Marine Corp Boot Camp in SD and dont have any time to do harness work anymore. I currently have a 240z that is running COP ignition and an 82 dizzy with a MS3/MS3X. I am about to drop a L28ET in it and am not too far away, just some injector and a couple sensor wires. I have done a few (10) swap harnesses for RB/SR in various R and S chassis in Okinawa, so I know my way around wiring. If you can wait 2 months, I have a break that I can do wiring work. I had a good time developing the power circuits for the megasquirt in my car, and I suggest you do something similar to my setup.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/109966-l26-spark-only-cop/

Thanks for the quick reply ! I have been searching and searching just cant find good info most links pictures do not work anymore .like you most people are putting money into this swap thus not not have the same parts as i do .

It was a bad idea to buy a car that already had the swap done .I dont want to go the MS direction since i plan on dropping in an ls1 in a year or so.

if its still not running in 2 months it would be really nice to have some help !

Send your recruits up Old Smokey :)