HybridZ

1971 240z Series 1 - "Z-Wolf"

i started this thread over at zcar.com, but I'm liking this forum alot more :), so I'm gonna continue the "tear apart and build" thread here.

---

this baby has been sitting in my Wifes parents next door neighbors garage for 13 years, and I just happened to see it 2 weeks ( Jan.10th,2011 ) ago while they were closing the garage in the corner of my eye. I just had to have it. So, i went over there yesterday, made an offer and it took about 2 hours to get her running. Shes running smooth, but has flat spots on the brand new tires ( 8 years old ) and a bad shock, not bad for sitting that long. She only has two small spots of rot, went over the whole car and only found light surface rust. The previous owner put in new brakes and front rotors, all new exhaust system, and a few engine changes.

Production Date:

11/1970

Registered as a 1971

HLS30-141**

Engine 1976 L28 w/ WebCam street cam w/ N42 head

Milage: 80,453

71 SU's

datsun_240z_01.jpg

datsun_240z_02.jpg

datsun_240z_03.jpg

datsun_240z_04.jpg

datsun_240z_05.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from Feb 13th, 2011

thought id do a quick update,

started to pull some interior stuff out today to clean inside out and check for rot spots inside. Took the seats and seat belts out too and found gunks of dirt/trash/etc.. and all the sound insulator is all dried out and cracked as you can see

Replaced all fuels lines/fuel filter and dropped the tank. Gotta clean the tank out next weekend and replace all the tank links and she'll be back up and running. Next step: paint strip and body work.

datsun_240z_05a.jpg

datsun_240z_06.jpg

datsun_240z_07.jpg

datsun_240z_08.jpg

datsun_240z_09.jpg

sanded down the area under the seat and put a couple coats of black

datsun_240z_10.jpg

datsun_240z_11.jpg

datsun_240z_13.jpg

last month i started stripping down the engine and taking all the emission parts off. Also i moved over to triple Mikuni's (40) from the 71' SU's, since i bought another Z (01/1970-awesome!) that had brand new ones installed.

BEFORE

look pretty dirty and cluttered

datsun_oldengine01.jpg

datsun_oldengine02.jpg

datsun_oldengine03.jpg

DURING STRIP DOWN

Removed air pump and all emission parts and SU's

datsun_oldengine04.jpg

datsun_oldengine05.jpg

new k&n filters

datsun_oldengine06.jpg

test fitting new ceramic coated 6-1 header... shiny....

datsun_oldengine07.jpg

test fitting Mikuni's and measuring to build a custom heat shield, looking to waterjet them, so there perfect

datsun_oldengine08.jpg

shitty 10 dollar fuel filter

datsun_oldengine08a.jpg

new 8mm cables, electronic ignition, and nkg spark plugs

datsun_oldengine09.jpg

SOME WHAT COMPLETE, Sounds sooooo good

datsun_oldengine10.jpg

last weekend

started working on the body work, well, i really only did the hood, its just so much work haha, busted out the DA w/ 100-320grit and some filler. car looks pretty good with a black hood ( flat black ) and the rest orange. Hopefully ill get to the rest of it soon.

datsunhood_01.jpg

datsunhood_02.jpg

datsunhood_03.jpg

Gotta cut out some rot in the fenders, but i seriously have no clue how to fix it. Im handy with a welder, but really no clue how to make it looks right.

Any one know the correct metal thickness to use when replacing the lower part of the fenders?

Car looks awesome! Thats a nice find for sure. You should put up a video of what it sounds like.

My only gripe: Nooooooo not the carbon "fibber" painted black ricer hood!

the real sound is wayyyy better, 6-1 header to 2.25 exhaust to resonator to big free flow exhaust

http://vimeo.com/25332266

also, the car is gonna eventfully be all black ;), so i gotta do the black hood/orange body for now

Edited by jimmyjones000

Looks like a nice project to start with. What are your plans for it?

Also, how bout some more info on the '70? :)

Here's the specs on my other 70', picked her up earlier this year, almost everything is orginal, except some of the goodies below. She's been sitting for almost 30+ years in a garage, so for sure needs some clean up and rebuilding of fuel lines/tank/etc

Specs:

1970 240z ( Production 1/1970 ) hls30-01412

all original parts ( except below )

L24 number matching engine

E31 head

polished "2400" Valve cover ( sweet )

23k miles on body ( been in storage/non-op since 80 )( only driven on weekends from 70-78 )

4 speed

Triple mikunis - 40pph

6-1 header ( ceramic coated )

The previous owner was looking to make it into a little race car around 1982. So, he sent the engine in for modification and it still hasnt been fired up since.

engine & other specs:

head ( number matching ) with no miles on it from rebuild ( still has machine shop build grease on cam/etc ) .040 over / high compression pistons - sleeves / Schneider race cam / header / electronic fuel pump / oil cooler / large front and rear sway bars / strut frame brackets / poly bushings / slotted rotors / larger brakes / and orginal dealer slotted rims.

ill get some photos going in a few days

Your floor boards look really nice man! This project seems to be moving pretty quickly as well. I'll be following since I'm starting my build soon too, and this looks like a nice thread to see what steps to take. What are your plans for that 70?

so for father day, my wife let me have the whole day off and let me work on the car all day.. haha. So i decide to tackle the rear suspension. My goal is to take down the whole suspension and any of the rear items, strip them down and paint them all. Looking to order new tokina shocks and lowering springs, and rebuild the rear brakes plus all new poly bushings. Also, gonna add a large rear sway bar.

so here it begins...

BEFORE

fender_01.jpg

fender_01a.jpg

sanding down all the junk

fender_02.jpg

AFTER.. using Rust-Oleum® Rubberized Undercoating.. looks so good

fender_03.jpg

fender_04.jpg

more sanding...

fender_05.jpg

this little pin drove me nutz for a few hours, i tried hammering the damn thing out and it wouldn't move, so then i just start pounding it out with a mallet haha, after i damaged the threads... so, if anyone is gonna do this, use a press to get it out.. arggggg. New ones go for about $50-60 a piece. Anybody have any spares ones, maybe trade for something else?

fender_06.jpg

fender_07.jpg

a little chemical dip

fender_08.jpg

the crud,paint,rust, etc just came right off with the hose

fender_09.jpg

fender_10.jpg

fender_11.jpg

primed and painted.. soo shinnyy

fender_12.jpg

new poly bushings, the old ones were pretty beat up

fender_12a.jpg

flame red anyone?

fender_13.jpg

fender_14.jpg

alot of work for a day and half. Going to let them cure for a week or so and put it all back together

fender_15.jpg

after i get the rear done, im gonna install a holly fuel pump and regulator, to get my fuel pressure down to 3.5 for the mikunis, as its around 4-4.2 right now. After that attack the front suspension.

Your floor boards look really nice man! This project seems to be moving pretty quickly as well. I'll be following since I'm starting my build soon too, and this looks like a nice thread to see what steps to take. What are your plans for that 70?

whats the 75' look like? When i got mine, the first thing i changed out was all the fuel stuff. Fuels lines, rubber hoses, dropped the tank and "hot tanked" / por15 it. Some one my fuel vapor lines were cracked and leaking fuel into the rear cab...pretty bad. The fuel lines were the biggest pain in the ass, but its well worth it for safety and making sure none of that crud gets into the rest of the system.

For the 70.. im not really sure yet, cant decide if i wanna keep it really stock and move it back to SU's or start stripping it down and doing a resto-mod style. Seems like the best idea would be to keep it original though, since its a 01/1970.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking great! Im going to be starting my build on my 1970 240z myself. She runs and just about everything is original on the car. Mine is #979 I got her for free!!

A free early, all original, running 240Z? That is a steal. I hope you take care of it. Based on your location, I'm guessing it's also pretty solid. I think that car is best left original.

Edited by rturbo 930

The car was originally from new Mexico, it's not bad, there are obviously some rust spots, but so far I havent found any holes yet. Just took out the transmission and part of the exhaust that wasnt even really connected right. So it leaked everywhere. I have a build thread noe on here and I have a thread on classic z car. I also have a YouTube account with a bunch of videos. I'll be adding more soon. Just search my name on YouTube, perfect240z

• 3 weeks later...

whats the 75' look like? When i got mine, the first thing i changed out was all the fuel stuff. Fuels lines, rubber hoses, dropped the tank and "hot tanked" / por15 it. Some one my fuel vapor lines were cracked and leaking fuel into the rear cab...pretty bad. The fuel lines were the biggest pain in the ass, but its well worth it for safety and making sure none of that crud gets into the rest of the system.

For the 70.. im not really sure yet, cant decide if i wanna keep it really stock and move it back to SU's or start stripping it down and doing a resto-mod style. Seems like the best idea would be to keep it original though, since its a 01/1970.

The 75 I had was probably the best s30 body I've ever owned ( rust wise ) too bad I sold it. I say you keep the 70 original man, you can never go wrong with original. Where's the updates man?!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been a long time since I updated.

I finally got all the -6 AN lines installed and I also installed a Holley Pump, fuel pressure regulator/gauge, and a fuel block. JEGs had all the parts and the AN banjos to fit the triple 40 mikuni's. I've attached all the part numbers if anyone is interest in doing the same. I also took the advice of other members and set the fuel pressure to 3.5 psi.

www.jegs.com

361-807691 -6 SS BANJO 12MM X 1.25

720-6151 FUEL BLOCK TRIPLE OUTLET

361-AT981666 FTNG -6 TO 3/8" NPT

361-AT981606 FTNG -6 TO 1/4" NPT

555-100845 FTNG #6 FEMALE X 3/8"HOSE

555-100912 #6 HOSE PRE-CUT 10-FEET

555-110001 #6 STR HOSE END BLACK

555-41010 LIQD FILL FUEL 0-15 BLACK

555-110403 3/8"NPT PLUG BLACK (2)

361-AT981666 FTNG -6 TO 3/8" NPT

555-110524 #6 UNION W/ 3/8"NPT BLACK

I only took one photo, so I'll get a few more up in the next couple days.

paint_engine_01.jpg

I've got another solid update on the z-wolf. So the decision has been made to strip the z down to metal and paint the whole car black. So for the next 3-4 weeks, I will posting alot more. Im hoping for it off to the painters by the second week of June.

For the first step:

Needed to check over the whole front of the car and strip off all the panels/parts/etc. The good thing is that there was no rot at all on the whole front of the car, just a few surface rust areas which i scrubbed off.

front_01.jpg

front_04.jpg

..and a couple spider eggs.

front_03.jpg

For the second step:

Alot of back breaking stripping and sanding. Gotta process the images in the next few days.

For the third step:

I decided to use Eastwood's three step sealer, for the front frame.

1 coat - http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html

2 coats - http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator.html

2 coats - http://www.eastwood.com/ew-extreme-chassis-black-high-gloss-aerosol-14-oz.html

This stuff is really good to use before painting too.

http://www.eastwood.com/low-voc-pre-painting-prep-aerososl.html

paint_05.jpg

paint_03.jpg

paint_01.jpg

paint_02.jpg

Next weekend ill be jumping on the engine bay and installing some Arizona-z coil-overs. Stay tuned....