HybridZ

Roll Cage Rear Stays

So, the scrutineers at my local track have asked that I bring the cage on my recently revived race car up to current standards. The complaint they had was that the rear stays on my car go from the top of the main hoop, over the rear shock towers and then bend down to the floor. I thought, not a big deal and probably a good idea. I was just wondering how others have theirs setup. Search as I will, I can't seem to get any good pictures of anything that looks legal. Well, maybe they are. The ones that look to be most common go from the top of the hoop down to the top of the strut towers. I might be wrong, but I thought they had to go to the floor with no less than a 35º angle. Our rules are essentially the same as SCCA.

What do you guys suggest and who has pics?

Edit: for those curious, here is the actual wording out of our rule book. As usual, it leaves a lot to be interpreted, but they cannot be bent.

"Rear stays must attach to the rear hoop no lower than 20.32 cm (8") from the top of the hoop and

at an angle no steeper than 35 degrees from vertical. These rear stays must be made from a

straight piece of tubing and be attached to a suitably stiff or reinforced area. A diagonal brace

must be fitted from near the top of the hoop to a position near the opposite corner of the hoop.

This brace must be as straight as possible."

Edited by wondersparrow

John put together that thread showing a bunch of different cages, should be a FAQ.

As a general rule, if a tube can be put in a cage without bending it, then don't bend it. A straight bar is stiffer than a bent one. The one exception is door bars, where they should be bent out into the door to give clearance.

Im either being oblivious or having a hard time using the search function on this site- JMortensen can I trouble you for a link to the thread youre talking about?

Side note: Is there a way to search for just topics made by a specific individual? I can go into the profile and search for the last 3 or so they made, or i can go to search and type a name into "author", but it doesnt pull up a list of just threads that person made. Ive really found this new (Well, not new anymore- but compared to the previous sites) search engine to be a bit less useful than what we had before sadly.

Im either being oblivious or having a hard time using the search function on this site- JMortensen can I trouble you for a link to the thread youre talking about?

Side note: Is there a way to search for just topics made by a specific individual? I can go into the profile and search for the last 3 or so they made, or i can go to search and type a name into "author", but it doesnt pull up a list of just threads that person made. Ive really found this new (Well, not new anymore- but compared to the previous sites) search engine to be a bit less useful than what we had before sadly.

Yeah, this cage wasn't installed by me. I know for sure that its at least 20 years old. I don't know if the rules were ever different, but when someone has safety concerns about my car, I take them seriously. Dragging the car to the shop this weekend actually. Time to get crazy with the grinder ;)