HybridZ

3rd Gen Maxima Build up

mutantZ

I believe the most common thing is to swap flywheels and use the DETT trans. I could be wrong, but I think its easier than getting the Z32 trans on an L motor. Also I think the later model Z31 5 speeds were internally the same as the Z32 units. Again I could be wrong about this.

So what kind of power do these engines make stock? Are there any cheap changes that can be made to boost power, or will you have to change out damn near everything like the guy on that build...thus making the engine pointless because you might as well just put your time and money into something that's already good.

I believe the turbo engines made around 210-220 hp stock with a tiny turbo and no intercooler. From what I gather if you size up your fuel delivery system, retune ecu, exhaust, and add some boost you should get fairly close to 300 no problem. That being said, this all on top of swapping this engine in first place. I like this motor mainly because it's fairly simple, really overbuilt, and tiny.

Its no lsx motor in terms of bang for the buck, but it does have a character all it's own. I'm guessing the guy in that article did alot of that to his engine for the same reason I would-because it looks cool as hell!

This compared to swapping in a VQ35 (which are now very common) for almost 300HP w/ NO turbo, NO retune, NO intercooler. + its also Nissan, + 6sp tranny are easilly availible. The swap isn't that different. Turbo kits are availible for $$$$ as are superchargers.

The VG30E is a proven engine. Crappy flowing heads, sketchy stock oiling system, but you can remedy it a bit.

http://vg30et.com/members.html

400rwhp is possible--and reliable--on the stock bottom end.

500 and 600 (see above) are also possible.

The VG33E(+T) is where it's at though. And the later 88+ turbo 5 speeds were internally almost identical to the Z32 trans. Earlier ones are T5s, which I consider strong as well but other people on the z31 forums say they asplode. The NA trans is also strong, it's a Nissan one.

The E has a 6 bolt flywheel, DE has 8.

Edited by BLOZ UP