HybridZ

NEW Z Locked Trunk

evilz

Ok folks, no laughing. I just bought my 5th 240Z. (1973) I finally got a V8z and was all too happy. So happy that I put on new breaks, new exahust and new carb before finding out that the trunk wont open. :blink: The key goes in but will not turn. :angry: I am assuming that A. the old owner replaced the trunk and did not give me the new key B. Welded it shut C. I am an idiot and did not turn it some way that would release. I am assuming A.

Any reccommendations on releasing the trunk latch from the inside would be helpful and win the poster a virtual beer.

Seriously folks, any help would be appreciated. :D

Edited by evilz

1. Grab the hatch lid and see if you can move it a little up and down, to see if it is welded on or not. I doubt it, but just to be sure check.

2. Spray the lock with some oil wd-40 or whatever you got and work the key back and forth to see if that opens it.

3. If not, lay in the back and remove the cover under the hatch. Just use a small pin to push the rivets into the trunk lid.Simply just push the center of the plastic rivet inwards. Remove the cover. Remove the linkage to the lock. Remove the retaining clip holding the lock down. Get out and remove the lock and simply use your finger or screw driver to push the clip down to open the hatch. There is not much to it.

Edited by JSM

I think JSM went too far! Remove the inner panel, stick you finger in and press the latch and open the hood. THEN climb out and remove the lock clip and lock assembly.

It's how I've opened my whale-tail decklid for...oh...20 years now. PITA but you can do it with your fingers or a screwdriver.

The lock simply disconnects the pushbutton from the metal piece that pushes on the latch mechanisim. They are separate.

If my fat arse can slip under the back strut bar and pop it open,

waterboy_2.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I followed and I am not having success. When you say "press the latch open" am i going up down left right? What am I pressing? BTW I have all the covers on the back off. The lock is not exposed but I can reach with my fingers. I can push down slightly on the circular latch with a slight lip on the bottom. I can also push slightly to the left. The Trunk is still locked tight.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...