HybridZ

Clutch suggestions for a modified stock-turbo setup

Hey guys,

I'm eventually going to get the L28ET swapped into my 240Z and I'm looking for suggestions for a clutch. Right now I'm looking to get the maximum power and torque from the stock turbo, whatever that may be. What would be a good fit for a street clutch? I'll only be driving the car on nice days and possibly at a few auto-x events so I don't care if it's a little harsh but I don't want an on-off switch either, so I'd like to stick to a non-puck style, sprung disc. I'll be running a Fidanza 10lb flywheel (probably too light but I have one on my daily-driver and I don't mind it), Z32 tranny, Z31 CLSD and Z31 CV axles. If I left out anything please let me know; thanks!

I really like my ACT HD pressure plate and street disk along with the aluminum flywheel on my turbo car. I had a SPEC previously and it didn't last very long. I think you will find that the lightened flywheel is a good addition to any street/track Z. For me at least it was one of the best things I have done to my car.

I really like my ACT HD pressure plate and street disk along with the aluminum flywheel on my turbo car. I had a SPEC previously and it didn't last very long. I think you will find that the lightened flywheel is a good addition to any street/track Z. For me at least it was one of the best things I have done to my car.

What "stage" SPEC did you have? I have a SPEC stage II on my MR2 and it's lasted me for years of hard abuse (mind you I'm only making 170hp/125lb/ft).

I think mine was the stage II as well, the kevlar disc. I don't think the disc was as much of the problem as the pressure plate was weak. A few trips down the strip and it was slipping really bad. There is a thread on here that goes through all of the issues with SPEC clutches. Some people have success....I wasn't one of them.