HybridZ

260z Drift Monstor

The ball joint taper is wrong and the steer knuckles are too long. After that gets straightened out, he'll still have to see what the camber and caster look like and possibly make some adjustments there too. He is a member here, but there are a lot of BMW guys on that other forum, and I guess that's why he's doing it over there.

I suppose if you did it the opposite way and used the BMW LCA and the Datsun strut, you'd have to worry about the taper of the ball joint and that's really it. I might be missing something, but I can't think of it.

Edited by JMortensen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BMW E36 cross member is literally like an inch wider than the stock 240z cross member. However, you would definitely have to modify the rails that the cross member mounts to.

I'm almost positive the E30 front cross member would be narrower and would require less modification...but that is just a guess that I pulled out my guessing hole. I do know that the track width of an E30 is less than an E36, so it would make sense if it was true.

Damn, well that throws in another variable cause then i will need LSX mounts for a e30/36 crossmember and would more than likely have some fitment issues. I really wish a company would step in a make a kit for some 240z drifters. Just a new lca, ball joint taper, and tc rod. I would seriously be willing to pay for something like that.

Edited by AllBoost

• 2 months later...

http://technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=846

Well guys its been a long time since i have posted in this thread but i have still been hard at work trying to figure out a way to get some more steering angle out of this car. Im still piecing together some miscellaneous parts and im hoping to start building around christmas. Would these lca's help me at all in some better sliding? Im thinking that widening the track of the car as much as possible and of course getting it lower and adding camber should help me to get in some smoother slides.

I'm wondering if the S12 front subframe swap would do anything for you. I'm doing that swap for the sake of the power steering and the ability to use S14 front knuckles, but the steering system is essentially the same at that point as you would get in a 240SX which as we all know works great for drifting. I'm not sure how the clearance would be since it is a modified setup, but it does convert the Z from a front mount steering rack to a rear mount steering rack so it might be better. It would certainly open up your world of front hubs, brakes, and wheels.

Widening the track and getting more neg. camber (or less camber if you will) go hand in hand. I am planning on buying these LCA's front and rear, they seem like a good idea. If you're on a tight budget.. I'd still say go for them because they will hold up, and as I understand it, you need to have dialed in suspension geometry to be able to be competitive in drifting, so this would give you the adjustability. Plus they are pretty well known in the drift world. I also plan on going for their RCA's, you should consider this too, to get correct angles after lowering your car.

• 4 months later...

Widening the track and getting more neg. camber (or less camber if you will) go hand in hand. I am planning on buying these LCA's front and rear, they seem like a good idea. If you're on a tight budget.. I'd still say go for them because they will hold up, and as I understand it, you need to have dialed in suspension geometry to be able to be competitive in drifting, so this would give you the adjustability. Plus they are pretty well known in the drift world. I also plan on going for their RCA's, you should consider this too, to get correct angles after lowering your car.

Well guys. progress is finally speeding up on this car. Funds have opened and with the economy turning around, i was able to pick up some more work this past year.. Today i purchase a lq9 6.0 motor making about 450hp :) after researching this past year exactly what to do with the suspension i plan on trying to modify the setup i have with the T3 lca's and rca's. I will have the exact specs on her here shortly.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread finally cause i now have time to work on my car again. Massive changes have happened to the car over the last couple of weeks and i think im ready for an update. For the lq9 i have purchased a new comp cam 228/232, Patriot valve springs and retainers, 799 heads, e85 injectors and put fresh gaskets in her. For the fuel system i purchased a new 8 gallon, stainless steel fuel cell, bosch 044 inline fuel pump, fuel lab fuel pressure regulator and i need the lines to go with it to completely the fuel system. I purchased a 4 row champion radiator and a 280zx master cylinder. The car will now be traveling with me to orlando and into my shop at Master Auto Care for new floorpans, and to stiffen the rockers/torque boxes. Then i will purchase my mount kit and t56 and shes ready to start i believe :). Then its time for some custom suspension work. 

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely guys, i will be taking pics of the car over the next couple of weeks as soon as i get my new camera. I could never leave the Datsun family. ive been doing a ton of research on the steering geometry of the s30 and finding a way to overcome that tc rod problem. Being a student in mechanical engineering at ucf im now taking a manufacturing class using cnc mills, lathes, presses, ect. So now for senior design i am planning on making a completely custom set of tc rods that will be L shaped. ill design them using protools 3d modeling software and outputting it to our 5 axis, in house, cnc mill. 

Everyone talks about steering lock. This is my car with no steering mods what so ever just Coilovers and bushings, i mean it takes alittle bit more effort and know where the limit of the car is but do able with little steering modifications at all though your power difference between may require more angle. Currently I have extended arms and tie rods for more angle with no mods to the knuckles yet although I can't go crazy with angle since I have the manual rack here....can't wait to go back to the track.

Edited by mistah mofro

Everyone talks about steering lock. This is my car with no steering mods what so ever just Coilovers and bushings, i mean it takes alittle bit more effort and know where the limit of the car is but do able with little steering modifications at all though your power difference between may require more angle. Currently I have extended arms and tie rods for more angle with no mods to the knuckles yet although I can't go crazy with angle since I have the manual rack here....can't wait to go back to the track.

I really hope you keep posting videos.  Can I bug you for a total mod list?  Id love it if you could get some in-cabin footage next time!  far more exciting when we can see what youre doing on the controls and makes it easier to see whats going on

Yeah will do next time. Right now I just have extended arms, tie rods,removed rack limiters, and decided to remount my tension rod in a way that my 9.5's won't hit them at full lock. I haven't driven on track other than some "off track testing". Next I'm going get the knuckles shortened. Btw all fan work is done from Marcus Fry Enterprises. Hoping to get back to the track january/febuary.

So mostly mods to let you hit some more angle.

May I ask what spring rates you use, and tires you prefer for drifting (size as well?)?  What are you doing for a rear end?

Whats your opinion on how the Z behaves while "oversteering" with your suspension?  Do you feel it progresses from a "grip state" to a "drifting"/"sliding" state relatively easily/smoothly with your set up?  Or do you feel the car tends to "snap" out once it starts to slide?  How does it handle transitions to another direction?