HybridZ

1983 280zxt 5speed transmission problem

Datsun63

Okay well what i got is a 1983 datsun 280zx turbo. It was originally a 3 speed automatic but decided to go to 5speed manual. My problem is shifter is getting to hot, and its hard to shift. i have a stage 1 Gripforce clutch on and runs fine,strong9 and everything no problem at all.But my main problem is shifter is getting to hot and its hard to get it into reverse. when the car is running its very hard to get into all gears, to get into reverse i have to get it into 5th then back into reverse but when car is off all gears engage smoothly. any help would be appreciated. Here are some pics of my current build

Please resize pictures to 1024x768 MAX

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Please Resize Images to: 1024 x 768 MAX

If you've installed a Borg Warner T5 5-speed for our turbo cars, make sure your using the correct automatic transmission fluid in it.

Not sure if fluid is your problem but different fluids affect the shift quality on the t5 and some people don't know they are ment to be filled with ATF, not manual transmision gear oil.

Side note.

I'm using Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40 motor oil in my T5 as recomended by another member here and it works well.

Also switched from a billet aluminum to a rubber grip type shift knob to help fight the heat transfer.

Mark.

If you've installed a Borg Warner T5 5-speed for our turbo cars, make sure your using the correct automatic transmission fluid in it.

Not sure if fluid is your problem but different fluids affect the shift quality on the t5 and some people don't know they are ment to be filled with ATF, not manual transmision gear oil.

Side note.

I'm using Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40 motor oil in my T5 as recomended by another member here and it works well.

Also switched from a billet aluminum to a rubber grip type shift knob to help fight the heat transfer.

Mark.

Okay thanks for your guys advice. I have chevron ATF oil in my transmission and will be trying Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40 to see how it goes.

Some of the aftermarket Mustang Shifters have a better insulation possibility at the adjustable joint halfway up the shifter. Sandwich a little phenolic in there and the heat doesn't go up the handle as bad.

shift fast so you don't burn your hand. just kidding

sounds like the clutch isn't releasing all the way. When standing still, how far do you need to push the clutch in to prevent the car from moving?

I have to push it about half way in.

You never DID specify what trans you switched to. T5 or Datsun 5 speed? If it's the T5 try a different fluid first, that's a cheap fix. Also make sure you've got enough in there to begin with. The good news about having the T5 is that just about any transmission shop can rebuild it and parts are readily available, unlike datsun tranny parts which can be a little more of a hassle.

You never DID specify what trans you switched to. T5 or Datsun 5 speed? If it's the T5 try a different fluid first, that's a cheap fix. Also make sure you've got enough in there to begin with. The good news about having the T5 is that just about any transmission shop can rebuild it and parts are readily available, unlike datsun tranny parts which can be a little more of a hassle.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that. It is a T5