HybridZ

Oil pan shapes

BlueStag

Hey guys, new to the forum.

I own a '73 Triumph Stag into which I have transplanted a Z straight six with a Maxima 4 sp auto and a datsun diffy and half shafts.

It has been on stands for a few years as I have been working on the house, and am now thinking of getting it down. I was not terribly enthused about the straight six. And I built it with carbs, and have been thinking of installing a cleaner engine. The car orignally came with a SOHC 3.0 v8, so a VG30E would be a poetic choice.

The engine bay is too narrow for a four cam engine, but I think the VG30E would be the thing. It was stock more powerful than the Triumph unit.

My question: oil pan shapes: I will need a pan that is set as far back as possible. At a guess, the half from the pulleys to the rear of the engine needs to be flat, and then the sump can fit below the back half of the engine.

The VG30E was fitted to many vehicles, what shapes of sump were offered?

Thanks

Yeh the Z31 300ZX sump sounds right for this hairdresser's car, it is shallow at the front and goes back a bit more than half way before deepening.

Ouuuuch!

Hey, it is a convertible with four seats, at 3000 pounds.

It actually has much technically in common with the 280zx.

I'm actually looking at a VG33, why not have the extra bit of displacement if I'm stuck with the sohc design?

But I do need to keep the induction short. No bulges in the hood for me!

Stags are cool, I'm just jealous :) Not sure if a Z31 sump will match the oil pickup etc on a 33, some are a bit different I think. But yeh, 33 would be better, Pathfinder 33 may suit.

No, no. I credit you for knowing that it was dissed at the time as a hair-dresser's car.

I can't imagine many cars that have suffered more varied engine swaps.

I'm corresponding with some lads that use a Toyota V8. The 1mz, I want to say. The suitable sump is pretty rare, and it is wide, making the whole question of manifolds tough.

I mostly want a bit more power, and a cleaner exhaust (fuel injection, electronic ignition, cats). I really want for it to be my daily driver, again.

As for the sump and oil pick up, generally one just needs to find the pickup/dipstick/sump all from the same engine, even if you are bolting it to a related block. On the L6s, that stuff can all swap around promiscuously.

Edited by BlueStag

• 2 weeks later...

Have you heard of anyone else swapping in the VG engines? It's a lot nicer and cheaper when the trail has been blazed. The Stag is an interresting looking car. If you've fit a L28 in there you shouldn't have too much trouble with the VG, or even one of the other L6's like the 2zj or even an RB. in this econ tho, you might look at the KA24DETT, It's a big 4 cyl. If the VQ wouldn't pose so many challenges with that sump, I would really recommend it. 280+hp stock for 600LB's is realy nice. In the end it is your car and ulitmately your decision. I hope you'll keep us posted on your project.

Some trivia but didn't Warren Batey(?) in the movie Shampoo drive a Stag? He was a hairdresser in that, cool with the ladies ;) Triumphs generally were the best of the British cars post WW2 in my opinion, TR's were a good solid unit.

Some trivia but didn't Warren Batey(?) in the movie Shampoo drive a Stag? He was a hairdresser in that, cool with the ladies ;) Triumphs generally were the best of the British cars post WW2 in my opinion, TR's were a good solid unit.

Sorry to point out the obvious here but I think that was where the reference came from.

• 3 weeks later...

Solid, the Stag engine was not. They were lucky to make it 25k miles. A painfully underdeveloped engine. Never applied to any other car, although a production line mate to the slant four applied to TR7s and Saab 99's.