HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

My 19T (white) speedo gear came in. For the first time since owning the car, my speedo will actually be correct (at least as correct as it gets)!

Looks like it's yellowed a bit from age, I counted the teeth just to be certain.

post-3287-0-34224800-1358222101_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-30121300-1358222124_thumb.jpg

The yellow pinion looks really yellow, this one looks white to me :)

I've done it as well but my wheels are not in specs (225/50-15) so the speedo is still not so correct but it gets better (except I read miles & roads are in kph in Europe)

I guess it looks yellow-er in person!

At least you've got a speedo to judge speed from. Until recently, my speedo hasn't worked (turned out to be a broken cable) and my tach doesn't work (haven't set up the tach circuit yet after installing Megajolt). Speed was judged purely on engine and road noise. Since replacing the speedo cable, I've got a working speedometer but it shows that I'm going much faster than I really am. Maybe that's a good thing... :D

We are at the same point with the MJ and the tach. I just got a 280z tach and bought the tach adapter from MJ site. I plan to get this going soon but hmm, snow again this week. lol

You poor guys with your snow! I drove the Z to work yesterday... :P

Let me know how the tach adapter works out, I was planning on constructing the small diode circuit described in the MJLJ install guide. Seems like it works for others, I just haven't gotten to doing it yet (like so many other projects). One thing at a time...

Edited by Leon

Nice. Did you sell the other the other 240 shell? I saw it listed in Craigs list a while back.

Yeah, sold it a few weeks ago and it's now resting in the LA area!

Very nice car!

Thanks Clive! Too much going on to start a new build thread on it right now, but it is essentially 90% restored (all new hardlines, hardware, interior, weatherstripping, nice paint, no rust, etc.) and came with a bunch of nice parts as well (including an ITS L24 with Rebello-prepped E31). :)

260Z = best S30 chassis imo. Nuff said I think.

Other than: Post a link to that cars thread once you get it started :-D

EDIT: Sorry, there is no best. But  I'll still say that the 260Z is a least hassle chassis for those of us trying to go fast in the S30 chassis.

Edited by Gollum

i just want to see more pics.

Funny we both ar getting 260z cars at the same time :wink:

Don't worry Clive, pics will be coming. Are you getting another 260Z? I though you had that white one, and sold another one.

I've been really busy, but I'll attach a few more teasers. I'm not even sure when I'll have time to wash it...

post-3287-0-07046000-1358911625_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-25030300-1358911648_thumb.jpg

260Z = best S30 chassis imo. Nuff said I think.

Other than: Post a link to that cars thread once you get it started :-D

EDIT: Sorry, there is no best. But  I'll still say that the 260Z is a least hassle chassis for those of us trying to go fast in the S30 chassis.

Sssshhhh! Don't let the secret out. :D

No worries, I'll be sure to link the new thread here. ;)

Hey...Whats this about the 260z being a better least hassle chassis?

Damnit, look what you did Nathan!  :D

It's not a huge deal, but it has beefier control arms and apparently a slightly stiffened frame (although I'm not sure by how much), but still weighs in at about 2400lb. There are a few other nice features that were first introduced on the 260Z as well, such as a nicer interior (e.g. 280Z-style dash and console), stock rear ARB, electronic ignition, etc. Yet, the wiring is not much more involved than a 240Z.

I've been a 260Z fan since buying my first one, but honestly, as long as you have a good body, any S30 will do. ;)

They reason I like the 260z/early 280z is that in all reality they're NOT considerably heavier than the 240Z. That's a common misconception. Yes there's differences, but the weight that's truly "unremovable", is where you want it. The BIG differences in weight ARE removable. Just converting an early 280Z over to 240Z style bumpers or even just running bumperless will get you really close in weight to the late 240Z.

The 260Z has virtually the same chassis as the early 280Z, but you also get the benefit, if you have an early 260Z, of the lighter bumper arrangement and being very easy to turn into a 240Z visually. All in all, most changes were making the cars BEEFIER, which I like.

My '75 weighed 2460 last I weighed it, and it's got the stock turbo manifold + turbo + stock downpipe. Those are HEAVY bits. I've seen plenty of show car early 240's tip the scales over 2300lbs... But I've got the R200 and a stiffer chassis to boot. And not to mention that the 280Z and 260Z can be found for a few less dollars because they're not as desirable to the collectors... I'm sure that right now my car is down under 2400 lbs, and I still have a steel hood. I'm curious though if I might even be under 2300 lbs already, as gutting my doors seems to have shaved a LOT of weight.

For what I'm building, it really doesn't matter if I start with a 240Z or a 280Z, but I'm going to put off doing a cage as long as I can, because that will inevitable end up being a "how much do I tube the chassis" never ending trail. So until I do go that route, the extra mass of the actual chassis itself is very welcome.

Yes Nathan, Thanks for making me throw my Z in the trash...HA! Jk Well If I finish my 240z maybe I'll try my hands at a 260z ;)

It's not a huge deal, just enjoy your car! 240Zs are dead simple, no seatbelt interlock crap or anything like that.

Finish it up already! :D

Edited by Leon

Well then let me also state for the record, there's simply nothing "wrong" with the 240Z. For me, the biggest reason not to buy a 240Z is the price premium you tend to pay. I got into S30's because they're CHEAP, and I've seen them double in price on craigslist a couple of times now... Getting harder and harder to find those $500 low-ish rust deals.