HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

Thank you Leon, follow on question: on my redline manifold, there is "webbing" if you will connecting all the runners for support/strength. On runner 1 and 2, the runners are connected via a 1/4" hole drilled through this support, essentially allowing runner 1&2 to balance each other on the front carb. The reason I assume this was done was because of the port drilled into the manifold of runner 2 for the brake booster.

Now for the question, I noticed during measurement w the synchrometer that the front carb flowed higher than the center and rear carb (front carb: 7, center: 6, rear: 5.5). Could the larger discrepancy be part of the "cross-talk" you mentioned above because cylinder 1&2 are drawing from each other, causing a slightly larger vacuum on the gauge? And would it make sense to take that into consideration when balancing? I had to turn the mixture screws for barrels 1&2 in quite a bit to bring it down to the lowest flowing carb.

Interesting, got some pics of the manifold?

Since 1 and 2 aren't right next to each other in the firing order, cross-talk isn't as prevalent when compared to adjacent cylinders (in firing order). As for the discrepancy, that can be due to many different factors. Minute adjustments of the idle speed screw should make up the difference seen on the flow meter. Just make sure that your 1st progression holes are covered. If you have newer carbs (151 series), then they'll have air bleeds which you can use instead and match all carbs to the highest flowing one.

I'd play with mixture screws after you get the flow balanced. It's an iterative process, so you'll go back-and-forth a few times. You have a wideband, yes? Makes getting the mixture right much easier.

Interesting, got some pics of the manifold?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about in regards to the runners being "connected" via a 1/4" hole/balance tube between runners 1 & 2.  The balance tube is highlighted in yellow, and runs across the entire manifold.  Only runners 1 & 2 are connected via the hole drilled through the balance tube, runners 2, 3 - 6 are not drilled/connected.

post-3718-0-16796200-1369658714_thumb.jpg

And here's a picture of the entire manifold

post-3718-0-22746600-1369658782_thumb.jpg

Also, I noticed you listed a "zero" bleed for the pump jet exhaust valve...what was the biggest change you noticed with going to a zero vs something like a 50 or 55 (or whatever is normally fitted)?  I've been trying to read up on side draft central...so much info to absorb!

Lastly, I dont know what I would do if I had TWO Z's at the same time...one Z already consumes all of my available time!  Keep us posted on your L28 build!

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about in regards to the runners being "connected" via a 1/4" hole/balance tube between runners 1 & 2.  The balance tube is highlighted in yellow, and runs across the entire manifold.  Only runners 1 & 2 are connected via the hole drilled through the balance tube, runners 2, 3 - 6 are not drilled/connected.

And here's a picture of the entire manifold

Sweet, thanks! I had no idea the Redline mani had a (partial) balance tube. I should check my TWM...

Also, I noticed you listed a "zero" bleed for the pump jet exhaust valve...what was the biggest change you noticed with going to a zero vs something like a 50 or 55 (or whatever is normally fitted)?  I've been trying to read up on side draft central...so much info to absorb!

The zero bleeds were part of the final stage of tuning: accel enrichment. I wasn't getting enough of a pump shot so I increased the volume by not letting any fuel bleed back into the float bowls. This was part of what cured my low-RPM pedal-stomp stumble.

Lastly, I dont know what I would do if I had TWO Z's at the same time...one Z already consumes all of my available time!  Keep us posted on your L28 build!

Tell me about it! I'll keep you posted.

• 2 months later...

Long-time, no-update. Just to keep this up-to-date, the car is currently on jack-stands because I've sold all but one set of wheels. This leaves me with 4 wheels for 2 cars...

However, the main reason for the car going up on stands is that the throwout bearing started making terrible noises back in April. I drove it a bit, but of course it was getting worse. The current plan is to drop the transmission, install lightweight flywheel, new clutch, and put in a late 5-speed. I'm also planning to drop the diff at the same time and finally install the CLSD. Carbs will also be replaced at the same time with 40DCOE151, replacing the 18s in it now. I can see this turning into a major while-I'm-at-it project...

In the future, I'll build an engine for this one although I'm unsure of exactly what it'll be.

In the meantime, the green car gets the attention so the action here will be slow until after September.

• 1 month later...

As promised, I've started working on the orange car again! The transmission is out as well as the exhaust and induction system. The throwout bearing was seized, confirming my suspicions of the noise...

I'll try not to go too crazy with while-I'm-at-it, so I'll be reinstalling the tranny with a fresh clutch and related parts. I've also decided to re-do the exhaust, going back to the stock manifold from which I'll just do a single 2.5" pipe. The big header with twice pipes showed a loss in power and was too loud, thus the decision.

I've done some adjustments to the carbs on the bench as well. I'm looking forward to getting this Z back on the road!

This is a sight I see far too often!
post-3287-0-21993200-1381354122_thumb.jpg

Trans out, release bearing removed.

post-3287-0-77246300-1381354145_thumb.jpg

Some new parts I had lying around.

post-3287-0-86883500-1381354167_thumb.jpg

Twice-twice pipes, I'll be selling both...

post-3287-0-32672300-1381354191_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-93191100-1381354213_thumb.jpg

Oh, and funny story on those old-looking twice pipes. I helped a fellow Z-owner remove the intake and exhaust on his '73 in order to install a header and round-tops. He was generous enough to donate the exhaust to me, and I agreed as long as it fit in my car.

The car is an '01 Accord Coupe. I've hauled two engines in the same car (on separate occasions), many sets of wheels, and countless parts. Who needs a truck? :D

post-3287-0-76333600-1381354841_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-01810300-1381354864_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-58297400-1381354886_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nice clean carb.

Did you swap 40 with 45?

Thanks Takashi! Still using 40s (L24) but finally bought new air horns and filters.

It's always too slow isn't it?!

Looking good.

Thanks Steve, you got that right, especially with a new job and holiday stuff going on...

• 3 weeks later...

What isolators (between carb and intake manifold) did you use?

I have the dual o-ring style, but they're significantly smaller than the carb outlet or intake runner diameter!?

I am running A TWM intake and 40DCOE18 carbs.

I used the dual o-ring style ones I got from Pierce Manifolds, but I don't remember them being significantly smaller than the intake tracts? I'm running a Cannon intake and 40DCOE18 carbies. Where did you get your isolators from?

I'm a big fan of the phenolic isolators but I don't remember what site I saw them on...

On another note, she's almost back on the road. It would be driving now but the $60 exhaust I bought off Craigslist don't fit so good.

Edited by Leon

Finally mounted up the exhaust, buttoned everything up, and drove it for the first time since last summer! New clutch and shifter bushings feel awesome. Now I just need to tune the carbs, fix the exhaust leaks (i.e. fab new exhaust), and give 'er a good wash. :D

• 1 month later...

wow, this car is very silimar to mine

Here are some recent and semi-recent pics. I plan on clay-barring the paint soon as well. As you can see, I've been driving it more than anything!

At work

101_0420.jpg

At home

101_0437.jpg

With Delorean's Z at Cars & Coffee

101_0441.jpg

The twins

101_0064.jpg

Derek's trigger wheel and sensor mount, mounted. Thanks Ross!

101_0200.jpg

Interior, gross old carpets have since been removed and I plan on getting new ones in the near future. Also thinking of selling the seats, they're a bit small for me and sit me a little high.

101_0325.jpg

My neighbor's pristine green/butterscotch Z, which I helped sell recently. Wish I had the space. sad.gif

101_0353.jpg

post-14380-0-65625000-1394902611_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's always a bittersweet feeling to see a child venture out into the world on their own. The car has been sold to an enthusiastic new owner, who will continue the legacy! :)

My last drive was yesterday...

post-3287-0-56292500-1404362582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon

Did you get close to your revised 11k asking price , do you mind sharing that info , was it sold via this forum or the local CL . It will be interesting to see the current market interest and value on a semi stock Cali  260Z  :?: 

Edited by PLATA