HybridZ

my subframe build

Being constructive here ok.

Yes your rear frame inprovements are good, although the system of offset bolts can slip under extreme forces such as track work with a good quality setup and slicks. My advice is that if you know that is how the car will sit for life you should mark the points and make them solid. I have coilovers in my work ute / toy and also my racetoy (280zx) As I have found with most adjustable component parts, once you find your setting you rarely move it again. (ie. you get minimum camber and you lock it and leave it.

Unfortunately I could not even consider being that low anywhere near where I want to use my car. Would literally drag the exhaust everywhere and get stuck see-sawing ontop of mounds.

On the tyre thing - I do own a shop and I do know the specs. That wheel and tyre combination honestly would be doing bugger all for you. The stretch you have leaves very little working area on the tyre. Is it due to the space under the guard on the outside or is it because of the massive camber that you can only run such a small tyre? Your car with that rim is really itching for a wider tyre and some ZG flares. I like low and fat, definetly low, just wish you could make it fat............

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hey i like your zx it is slammed it looks cool and all these guys that have a track car they don't like it because that is not there style

, it is interesting how people look at a car and judge when you should look at what is done to the car.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390036_203268426425830_200683773350962_451695_316380087_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Q1: Do you not bottom out a lot?

Q2: The adjustable camber and toe intrigues me. I have one pulling to the right. The right rear is toed in. Theory being it pushes the rear to the left and thus the front to the right. Did you make these yourself? Or were they a kit? Where were they sourced and how was it done. Amazing engineering.

Nice work on the rear suspension mods.

Using some different parts I've done the same thing to mine:

solid mounts,inner and outer camber/toe adjustment,coil-overs,ect.

I've got a Z32 VLSD diff installed in my original long nose R200 case

and am still working out what way to make up the axles.

Could you give some more info on how you put the axles together?

Thanks,Mark.

Yeah he is. Basically, take your VLSD back out, weld the spider gears in your open carrier and put it back together with the stock axles. Its nothing but a headache with custom axles.

I bottom out quite often, its no big deal.

The offset bolts I used were from both a MX73 Cressida (bigger, more adjustment) and a Z31 (smaller, less adjustment)

The toe I used the Z31 cages, cut them off the crossmember in the junkyard and welded them to my crossmember.

As an update, I broke this subframe (hit a cone on the freeway) and put a new one in, its better in that I have more toe adjustment, and I also moved the outer bolt even farther down, I only had about -3.5* camber at this height. HOWEVER with this much misalignment in the poly bushings, it put A LOT of stress on the crossmember and broke it again, so I fixed the crossmember and replaced the bushings with heim ends and I have yet to have a problem again. I'm currently putting heims on another pair of arms to get my camber between -2 and -3* camber at my proper ride height.