HybridZ

280ZX Build

Jordon

So, It has been a long time Since I have posted, but I'm back now.

Since I last Updated alot has happened.

The paint is nearly complete, The bonnet has to be resprayed again because the apprentice used the wrong screws for the bonnet latch and damaged the surface. (nearly went right through)

While it was in the shop I took the front cross member and all the front suspension related gear off the car. I then Sanded the front cross member, lower control arms and the TC rods. They then got painted black.

After that I re installed the front cross member, the lower control arms and my T3 front coilovers, TC rods and the bump steer spacers.

I had a problem with the wheels I was going to put on, they are 16"x8" with a 0 offset but by the looks of it would at least need a 7mm spacer to clear the springs.

I don't want to use a spacer but was thinking of finding someone that could machine a new hum slightly thicker. (10mm for example)

While the car was getting painted the wheel wells got done as well.

Dato3.jpg

The Handbrake had to be moved closer to the centre of the car to allow the seat I got to fit.
Next week some time I will be able to get some photos of the engine bay and the modification done for the seat.

The engine has been in the shop for a couple of months now, the bottom end has been clearanced to clear the rods from the longer stroke, the pistons arrive next week, Hopefully have the engine back by the end of the week,

The next step is the ECU (going to try a megasquirt ECU) and the wiring.

I have decided to make my own wiring loom which I have started the diagrams for and will start wiring up next week.

I'll be back next week with photos and another update.

• 1 year later...

It has been a long time since I have been on here to post an update. I'm a bit slack in that regard :/
A lot has happened over the last year, but I'm having some timing problems with my engine builder. Wanted the engine finished last year around October but he let me down. bunch of excuses blah blah. He is an awesome guy and knows what he's doing so I have been persevering.

Anyway, On the engine side of things. It turns out that the pistons we had would be no good. After much umming and ahhing and a lucky coincidence there  was a slight change of plans.
I'm not sure If anyone has done it before but we are mating up an RB25 cylinder head on top of the L series block. (coincidentally my engine builder had an RB26 head laying around the shop and he had a look and test fitted it and it turns out that the cylinder bore and head bolts all line up. Not all oil passages or water jackets do but some modifications have been made to get those to either line up or grab an external oil feed for it.)

For pistons we are now going with some dished supra pistons and keeping the crank and rods I already had.
So now the engine will only displace 3.3L but still better than nothing.

L33DET.jpg

The RB25 head fitted to the block with the adjustable cam gears fitted.

To make all the timing work out I got an RB25 timing belt crank pulley, which my engine builder has bored out to fit on the L28 crank. At the moment he is in the process of sorting out the tensioner for the timing belt and sorting out the oil pump mount (Dry sump pump going where the old air conditioner compressor mounts,)

On other areas I the front end all together with new polyurethane bushes and the assorted parts from T3. With the wheels on it looks great (unfortunately haven't been able to get any photos lately on account of the car being back home while I've been away.)

Next I will be moving the car to my garage to pull apart the rear end and get some rear coilovers sorted, put a full spool in the diff and re-bush the rear sub-frame/suspension arms.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...