HybridZ

Source for valves

wondersparrow

I am in the process of rebuilding my head and I am in need of some new intake valves. Si has a part number for them, but they are out of stock and say it will be a few months. They are 44mmx8mmx116mm, the short ones. I was hoping for some nice stainless ones, this is a budget track motor :) Anyone have any suggestions? I already got the guides and the exhaust valves from SI.

Thanks,

Sparky

Hmm, their websites are both crap, I will have to give them a call. I have been pouring through catalogs to see if someone even makes a blank or a longer valve that can be re-cut, but I am not coming up with anything. Nothing at Ferrea, or Manley that I can see. Google's results are even limited other than one sketch-ish ebay store. RPM machine seems like they might carry some SI stock, they will get a call too.

I am in the process of rebuilding my head and I am in need of some new intake valves. Si has a part number for them, but they are out of stock and say it will be a few months. They are 44mmx8mmx116mm, the short ones. I was hoping for some nice stainless ones, this is a budget track motor :) Anyone have any suggestions? I already got the guides and the exhaust valves from SI.

Thanks,

Sparky

These are a little shorter than you spec'ed, but they appear to be the "short valves"...

http://www.ferrea.com/sportcomp-valves-competition-plus-valves.php

Ferrea can pretty much make you whatever you want, depending on how much you want to spend. They made me a set of "Super Alloy" valves for my N42 head. Would've liked to have had sodium filled, but as I recall they didn't have blanks in (or close to) my size.

Edited by TimZ

Are you looking at these for the L28ET? What head would those be for? They look even shorter, or maybe they are just measured different.

F1839P I 44 mm 8 mm 114.3 mm 3 mm 20º Super Flo. Stock size

hmmm, 114.3mm + 3mm = 117.3mm. I think those are the long ones :( Dangit!

Sorry to drag this up again. Still hunting for the elusive short valves. After speaking with a few guys, it sort of sounds like I might be able to use the long ones. With the amount of adjustability we have (lash pads and solid 'lifters') does that 1 mm actually matter. Can that 1mm be adjusted within spec. I don't want to wipe out my cam or anything, so obviously care would need to be taken, but 1mm does not seem like a lot considering the adjusters alone can move more than that.

Edited by wondersparrow

• 1 year later...

hmmm, 114.3mm + 3mm = 117.3mm. I think those are the long ones :( Dangit!

If you look at the table again, it says that the "overall length" is 114.3mm, and the tip is 3mm. So these are in fact the short ones. But why do you want the short ones? The E88 came with the longer valves, and longer valves give you more travel before the spring binds, which is important for high lift cams. The sharp head I have has custom valves that are 2mm longer than the stock "long" valves. You can compensate for the long valves by shimming the cam towers to keep the rocker arm geometry correct. They also machine the spring seat for more travel.

What I want to know is if Ferrea makes stock long lengths. They can make whatever length you want. It's only money, right? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I just recently had this issue. Nissan USA no longer shows that they have any of the P90 intake valves left...but they have plenty of exhaust valves. SI is out of stock, Nissan Motorsports says they're out of both intakes and exhausts, and I ended up going with Qualcast valves, out of Nashville TN...they had the intakes and stellite faced exhausts.

What we need is some one making valves with modern stem diameters. There is a lot of flow to be had dropping from 8mm to 6mm. When I talked to Ferrea a couple of years ago they said 6mm is pushing the durability of a valve with a 44mm head, but the exhaust size of 38mm or less would handle it just fine. Dropping to 7mm on the intake is feasable and you gain +/- 5% flow per mm of stem removed with basically no loss in velocity. The weight savings is worth mentioning as well, since weight off the valve only means the spring doesn't work as hard. I have a set of stainless valves for my turbo build, but it would be interesting to see what a smaller stem valve would do for these old heads.