HybridZ

Missing tooth trigger wheel for the optical dizzy

letitsnow

Does anybody make an alternate trigger wheel for the L28/Z31 optical CAS? For example, a missing tooth wheel with TDC marker on the outer ring. DIYautotune makes one for the KA and other nissan CAS's, but tells me it won't fit the L28.

If nobody makes one, I may be able to CAD one up and see about getting it laser cut, obviously I'd need to have a whole sheet cut to make it worthwhile. Any interest?

That's what I brought up to their tech person, but they insisted that it would not fit and they wouldn't share any dimensions other than the OD, which is slightly smaller(5mm I believe). So without more info, I have to assume that they are correct and it won't fit.

• 3 weeks later...

The optical wheel in the 82-83 is 54mm but it's 50mm to the outside of the windows (or slots or whatever you want to call the holes for the optical encoder). I suspect the KA ones which are listed as 50mm are inset more than the ZX ones so they won't pass in front of the optocoupler (probably 46ish mm to the outside of its optical window ring).

• 2 weeks later...

I drew this up in autocad based on the DIY photo and measurements taken from a 280ZXT trigger wheel. I have the dwg file, but the site will not let me upload it for some reason. If you download the CAS_Trigger_Wheel.dwg.txt file and change the extension back to dwg, it will open in autocad.

My MS3 is on the way. I need to figure out a trigger solution quick.

Sam

CAS_Trigger_Wheel.pdf

CAS_Trigger_Wheel.dwg.txt

• 2 weeks later...

If this wheel allows me to convert my L28ET with turbo distributor to MS without installing a crank sensor, I am DEFINITELY interested. I already have the Z31 wheel inside as I currently have a Z31 turbo ECU, and I cannot remember whether crank angle information is used by the ECU in the same way MS needs it. Thanks for any clarification !

If this wheel allows me to convert my L28ET with turbo distributor to MS without installing a crank sensor, I am DEFINITELY interested. I already have the Z31 wheel inside as I currently have a Z31 turbo ECU, and I cannot remember whether crank angle information is used by the ECU in the same way MS needs it. Thanks for any clarification !

You can use megasquirt with that trigger wheel as is. This trigger wheel is for running COP, EDIS, or whatever floats your boat without a crank trigger.

You can use megasquirt with that trigger wheel as is. This trigger wheel is for running COP, EDIS, or whatever floats your boat without a crank trigger.

It's only going to work with EDIS if it was designed to imitate the 36-1 pattern. To do that at cam speed would take 72 slots with 2 opposite teeth missing.

You could avoid the EDIS module all together and have MS decode the wheel and fire the COP's. One thing I'm unsure of is if and version of MS1 or MS2 supports a missing tooth cam wheel(36-1 on the cam or in the dizzy for example, not 72-2), with no crank wheel. I can see no reason it wouldn't work, but I don't know it it's supported.

You could avoid the EDIS module all together and have MS decode the wheel and fire the COP's. One thing I'm unsure of is if and version of MS1 or MS2 supports a missing tooth cam wheel(36-1 on the cam or in the dizzy for example, not 72-2), with no crank wheel. I can see no reason it wouldn't work, but I don't know it it's supported.

Missing tooth cam wheels are supported in all Extra code variants as well as B&G MS2 code.