HybridZ

Megan/McKinney Coilover Install

I just installed my front Megan/McKinney Coilovers today. I plan on using this thread to post up photos of the process and info on the install. To start off with though, I have a major problem, and that is that the dampener switch won't fit under the hood with the hood closed :blink:. The tops of the towers were cut off to install the plates, and they couldn't have been cut lower to avoid this problem. Photos:

I POR'ed the area and will repaint the engine bay eventually:

6017192426_102cb099ec_b.jpg

6017192800_a9f174078d_b.jpg

New ball joints, tie rod ends, bumpsteer spaces, many parts POR'ed.

6016641585_819299fbef_b.jpg

I will post all of the detailed photos I took with my SLR, but I wanted to post this first to help get a resolution to this issue. This is a beautiful kit, and I'm loving it except for this issue.

Edited by 503Alex

have you tried taking the knob off and seeing if it will fit? I know it would be annoying to have to keep them in your glove box and having to reattach them, but it's better than my situation.

I used inverted dampers so the adjustment in on the bottom, inside the threaded sleeve. I need to jack up my car and take the coilover out to adjust mine.

I put a spacer under there, but it still won't allow the hood to completely latch and I can't make adjustments to the dampeners with the spacer in there. Haven't tried longer bolts yet. I really would like to keep my hood uncut as it's in really nice shape.

Can't you get a some bar stock about 5/8" - 3/4" wide (two per strut) to use as a spacer (whatever thickness you need to lower the strut enought to clear the hood) and drill two holes in it to match the existing holes? I'd use some longer grade 8 hex head bolts so you can apply some good torque when you tighten them down to hold everything in place.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Mike, that's a good idea, Mack@McKinney says they're looking into this issue and may increase the lower spacer height below the camber plate to make it clear. This is great news. I'll try and post up a picture of the adjustment knob, I believe I have one with the fender on somewhere.

• 2 months later...

Looks good to me 503Alex, but i am in no position in giving you advice, im no suspension expert.

I am curious though as to why i havent seen anyone else have a rear camber setup like you as in adjustable camber like the front setup. How did McKinney convert the rear coilovers like the fronts for camber?

Looks good to me 503Alex, but i am in no position in giving you advice, im no suspension expert.

I am curious though as to why i havent seen anyone else have a rear camber setup like you as in adjustable camber like the front setup. How did McKinney convert the rear coilovers like the fronts for camber?

Thanks, I believe Arizona Z car, Techno Toy Tuning, and a couple others have camber plate setups. Mckinney made the rear coilovers to accept these camber plates instead of putting the stock top hats on the top of the rear coilovers. They use allen bolts to hold them in place on the slots of the camber plates which you can adjust.

Here are some more pictures:

6324727970_50e336419e_b.jpg

6323974691_dbc4bf7a83_b.jpg

6324728946_e095550523_b.jpg