HybridZ

What is a good price fo a 280z Used engine??

77 Blule 280z

$150 or less for a long block(block, front cover, and head) by itself, no clutch/flywheel, no manifolds or accessories(alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump etc...).

I would not pay more than $200 for something like that. You could get it in a junkyard for about that price.

I paid $300 for my last L28E...pulled it myself from a running '78 with 70K on the car. The owner wanted to convert his Z to an electric car...I told him "nothing says I love the environment more than filling your car up with 1,000lbs of hazmat..." and dropped that engine into my '73 240Z.

Free works for me. As I recall the last ones I got (3 in fact) were a 'load them up today and you can have them' kind of offer. If they ask for an offer, offer to take it out of their way since it's sitting there, takes up space, and obviously they're not using it, aren't going to use it, and therefore should be happy to have you do their cleaning up!

And yes I'm being serious. Time is your friend. Go back in a year, say "I see that's still around for you to hit your toes on..."

If they ask for an offer, they're fishing because they never thought it was worth anything. If they didn't value it before, they're trying to see YOUR valuation as it's obviously going to be more than what they thought it was worth...which was NOTHING.

Someone asks ME for something they see laying around the yard, they either get a price or an 'it's not for sale' immediately. If I don't have a price in mind, chances are I'm as likely to say 'take it' than insult someone with trying to milk money out of them with a 'make me an offer'...

They think you value it more than they do? Show them they're wrong: offer to take it away. If they're insulted, it's just because you called their bluff.

Besides, starting from "NOTHING" is your best negotiation tool anyway. For a pig-in-a-poke laying on the ground it's worth scrap value (It ran when we took it out...yeah RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :rolleyes: )

Edited by Tony D