HybridZ

LS1 Project Build...

So I inherited an LS1 from a friend who needed my help swapping a motor into his LS1 based camaro. This motor already has the following:

Patriot 5.3L heads with Patriot Double springs

Yello Terra 1.8 roller rockers

Comp Cams 216/220 114LSA with a 525/532-ish lift (still trying to get that info nailed down)

Also comes with an alumimum LS1 intake (think it's a weiand)

The motor came out because the owner stripped a head bolt and the head gasket started leaking. So I'll go thru the bottom end. Looking at upgrading the rods/pistons, along with the hardware with ARP studs/bolts. I've been out of the LS1 scene for a while, so anything anyone can recommend would be great. Also looking for recommendations on sourcing wiring harness/ECU as well as headers (assuming the JTR units are my best bet for ground clearance) and either the JTR or Johnscars mounts...I'll re-use the TKO600 trans and McLeod bellhousing if possible, along with the rest of that package. So far that clutch kit/hydraulics is holding up to the task!

Fire away, I'm looking to get educated here...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mike,

You should get on the group buy for custom long tube headers that 1 Tuff Z is running.

Also, read the article in the new Hot Rod magazine. They turbo'd an LS motor and kept upping the boost to see how much it would take to blow it up. Over a thousand HP and it never did blow up. The kicker is the motor was only a 4.8! I'd spend the money on a dry sump system and leave the rods and pistons stock. That is unless you are planning for a total engine overhaul, then why not build a big cube motor :)

Joe

Joe, not sure if you've kept track of the last 8 years spent on the "other" build. I'd like to keep this one within less than half a decade! :lol: My goal isn't more HP. My goal is reliable power. I personally think 400 WHP with a nice broad torque curve would be ideal...

Anything more, I'm just not "that good" to extract its potential... Call me a realist, but I want to focus on having it running by next spring.

Mike

Mike,

Yep, watched the last build very closely :) From what I can see, you already have all of the pieces to make 400RWHP. Mine has done it with TR Stage II 5.3 heads, and a FAST 90 intake manifold, 1.7 Yella Terra rockers and shorty headers from JTR. I'm just not sure about your cam. I'm using a cam with 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA specs. I mentioned the dry sump because the guy that is doing my tuning recommends it for road cars that pull a lot of G's which you car looks like it will!

Joe

Mike, how much power does your current setup make? I would have guessed it over 400 whp pretty easily.

If I was going LS, there's a particular orange car I would look at pretty closely. That thing is a rocket.

jt

John, I'm supposed to go to the dyno this friday for a tuning session, so I'll know... I also want to talk to them about possibly taking my existing motor and converting it to FI with the setup I still have... Might need a new computer/harness from a decent source, but otherwise I've got everything for that car... If the 383 stroker lives and performs as well as I hope it will, then this whole LS1 thing could take a back seat for a "little while"...

How's your particular rocket coming along?

Mike

Mike, it's progressing, but slowly. Between LOTS of other stuff going on in my life, and playing with the 930 some, it hasn't got the time put into it to really get completed. but, it is showing some potential and I'll get there. Just not sure when !!!!

jt

John, Hang in there... I sympathize with all that you have going on... I'm kind of in the same boat right now...

BTW, PCA/First Settlers is looking for instructors for September's event...

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/E6D37518-00D0-F2F7-B5D6F972CB2C659A

Mike

I personally think 400 WHP with a nice broad torque curve would be ideal...Anything more, I'm just not "that good" to extract its potential.

Mike

Mike you are a realist, and I think that these are some of the wisest words that I have ever heard on this forum.

400 WHP in a 2500 lb car is a huge number. Given the tools that we have to work with on these old cars (regardless of upgrades) it becomes very easy to start lapping slower given the usual skills of us weekend warriors as horsepower is increased. As for the reliability aspect, you can have 600, 800, or a thousand horsepower, but if your not there for the checkered does it really matter??

This subject should have it's own thread. I'm sure the discussion would be lively.

Well those words come from experience. I have a 670HP monster that I'm not "fast" in. So why bother making this thing undrivable as well? If I can crack a 2:10 on VIR full in this car, I will be happy. Anything more will be icing on the cake.

Mike

Mike, you are welcome to join the group buy for our ss long tube build, here's the link.

Getting close to the order time, once that begins we'll close the group buy and initial pricing. Thereafter the builder will still offer them, at a single pair cost. All the details are in the thread.

For my z, which weighs about 2900 with me in it [i'm 175] and a full tank of gas. I can run just under 2:20's at the Glen on my old toyo t1-s street tires. My ls1 is nearly stock and puts down 330 hp and 360 tq to the wheels.

Edited by 1 tuff z

Pretty sure we're going to just shelve the LS1 motor for now... The 383 stroker is making very healthy power and should meet the requirement for power in this car. We're getting it corner balanced and aligned next Wednesday so I'll know what the actual weights are. If I can get this car in at approximately 5 pounds per HP, I think it'll be more than sufficient to meet my goals. I'm going to re-instal the fuel injection system I have over the winter, along with a FAST computer and harness and see what we can do about a little broader power along with traction control.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Bringing back this thread since my plans have changed again... Of course it is a year later, so go figure.

The LS1 WILL be installed in the datsun over the winter. Right now I'm planning for an ARE drysump. Here's the current list of parts I have:

LS1 Shortblock, complete.

Patriot 5.3 truck heads with yello-terra springs

Z06 intake.

I need to find out if my bellhousing will work, I suspect it wont, and what others are using. Def. NOT getting rid of my Tremec TKO. Other recommendations for valvetrain durability would be useful as well. I plan to do the Comp-cams Trunion upgrade, or just buy their rockers.

Mike

• Administrators

I need to find out if my bellhousing will work, I suspect it wont, and what others are using. Def. NOT getting rid of my Tremec TKO.

Keisler Engineering sells a reproduction 621 bellhousing for doing just that (about $260). It's shorter by about .400" to make up the input shaft differences. I believe they sell them for both mechanical clutch release as well as hydraulic. I've currently got my TKO bolted up to an LSx with one. I haven't settled on a hydraulic release yet (the LSx release won't work). Tilton and Quartermaster both make releases that I believe will work. Also, Quartermaster sells a bell for that purpose as well, but I don't have any info on it. Tube80z has one. You might PM him.

I think I'm going to go the Tilton 5.5 triple disc option which will include their mini-starter, hydraulics setup, and bellhousing. Mark I. sent me his spare ARE drysump oil pan yesterday. So I'm well on my way to the drysump conversion.

I pulled the LS1 appart and will probably be selling off the Patriot aluminum 5.3 heads/Golden Springs, YelloTerra rockers, Comp Cams pushrods and XR269HR cam. Specs on the cam below...

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1086&sb=2

That said, What would be the right heads/Cam package to get the car to 500-550BHP?

Mike

I think I'm going to go the Tilton 5.5 triple disc option which will include their mini-starter, hydraulics setup, and bellhousing. Mark I. sent me his spare ARE drysump oil pan yesterday. So I'm well on my way to the drysump conversion.

I pulled the LS1 appart and will probably be selling off the Patriot aluminum 5.3 heads/Golden Springs, YelloTerra rockers, Comp Cams pushrods and XR269HR cam. Specs on the cam below...

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1086&sb=2

That said, What would be the right heads/Cam package to get the car to 500-550BHP?

Mike

BHP being crank hp?

How much do you want to spend?

AFR and Trick Flow both make badass heads, get a custom grind, not an off the shelf cam.

Let's just say right now I have no budget concerns.

Mike

Man, I remember saying that when I started my build. Now $40,000 into it and still have no motor, transmission, clutch, etc... and my car still not painted I'm starting to change my tune a little.

Love my 280 but wow parts are not cheap if you want to restore a car the right way that's for sure. Good luck, I will follow your build as well as others here. I have learned a lot from this forum.

"no budget concerns"

Thats the first item on my list "things I'd like to have" lol

If you want to make some big power on stock cubes, an AFR 205, or TFS 215 cnc or TFS 220 as casts and have them hand ported.

Names to know

Tony Mamo - AFR and FAST porting guru

Pat G (ls1tech)- Cam spec expert. Charges like $50 to spec a cam for YOUR application. Consistently makes more power in just about any setup than an off the shelf grind, and you will have power where you want/need it.

There are a TON of LS1 speed shops, and quite a few really really good ones.

My favorites, and ones I've had REALLY good luck with:

Vengeance Racing

Texas Speed

Tick Performance