HybridZ

porsche 944 opinions

suparman

Not all that impressed by them out of the box. The 944 always felt like it drove heavier than it actually was to me. The turbo S models have 928 brakes and trans coolers. Timing belts require a special tool to set tension correctly. About 15 years ago that tool cost something like $350, there might be aftermarket replacements now, but if the belt goes you're hosed, so make sure you factor the cost of replacing the belt if it hasn't been done recently. Front ball joints are supposed to be non-replaceable, but they can be swapped out if you find the right size joint from a different application and experiment with getting it installed. We used to swap them out, but I can't remember what that application was. Local German parts store had it on the shelf though. PS leaks are a constant problem and the fluid leaks right onto the RF sway bar bushing which then swells and falls apart. If you can find Delrin bushings, that's what we used to use to replace them. Back then chip and higher octane fuel was supposed to net 275 hp if I recall. My boss's chipped S was quick but not fast. Other than that, back in the 993 days the air cooled guys would not take a water cooled Porsche seriously. I imagine now that they're all water cooled they ***** about the motor being in the wrong end of the car.

Now that there has been a Spec 944 racing series (with NA cars) there might be some less expensive options for suspension upgrades. Used to be pretty expensive to modify them.

My only experience with them has been racing against turbo and NA 944s and building/maintaining a championship winning Spec944. So, pretty much only on a race track.

In that environment they are basically bulletproof as long as you're using Porsche/Audi parts. For the 944 a lot of the parts are from Audi/VW and there are cross references on the internet that help you source the correct part from a VW dealer which saves at least 50%. They handle extremely well if you get the alignment correct. The rear semi-trailing arms are the difficult part of alignment and it takes time and patience to get them set right.

A properly setup Turbo 944 is a monster with 350+ horsepower reliably available on a race track. That and a 2,450 lb. race weight with driver makes a pretty fast track car.

More info the car has a port polished o ringed head from Lindsey racing with a wildfire gasket ( gasket name means nothing to me) other parts from Lindsey maf conversion, upgraded turbo, bov, manual boost control, Lindsey / Borla exhaust, chip. I am waiting on the guy to get all the receipts together to verify. He is not willing to go any lower then 4k for it so I dont know if that is good or not. all the others in similar condition in my area are asking 3k but he does supposedly have 11k in to the engine so....

I owned a non turbo 944 for over 20 years. It's a wonderful car to drive, but when something breaks, it's very expensive to fix. Years ago, my wife and I had a "loaner" from the factory for a few days while we were in Germany for meetings with Porsche and I can assure that 149 mph on the Autobahn feels just fine. Water pumps, radiators, timing belts, and most of the other wear items are very labor intensive to replace. If you get one, ask for all maintenance receipts to verify what's been done in recent years. But, as I said, it's a wonderful car to drive.

Dennis

Well I'm new to the 944, but I have been enjoying mine for two seasons now. Very nice to drive, and handles great right out of the box. As for reliability, it is a 25yr old car, and stuff breaks. Goto rennlist.com and check out the 944 forum. It is very active, and has some very knowledgable folks on it. Oh and the same thing goes for all cars, maintanence is the key to happiness. Don't cheap out.

Well I'm new to the 944, but I have been enjoying mine for two seasons now. Very nice to drive, and handles great right out of the box. As for reliability, it is a 25yr old car, and stuff breaks. Goto rennlist.com and check out the 944 forum. It is very active, and has some very knowledgable folks on it. Oh and the same thing goes for all cars, maintanence is the key to happiness. Don't cheap out.

However, some cars are more maintenance intensive then others. When you have to do the timing belt/water pump or clutch you may be in another mindset! I've considered getting a 944 many times, but the parts cost and maintenance schedule (timing belt every 30k miles?) have kept me away. No doubt, they are great cars, but I prefer the S30. Although the 944s were galvanized so rust is much less of an issue, and that is a very good thing. I think if someday I find a nice, well taken-care of 944 I may just pull the trigger anyway! I'm such a masochist... :iospalo:

I've instructed a number of well piloted and well sorted 944s. They're just like any other sports car. You get out of it what you put into it. Joining the PCA gets you into a very large group of car nuts and a very good resource for everything and anything Porsche ever made...

Mike

I've instructed a number of well piloted and well sorted 944s. They're just like any other sports car. You get out of it what you put into it. Joining the PCA gets you into a very large group of car nuts and a very good resource for everything and anything Porsche ever made...

Mike

My local out in the desert JY has been littered with 944's over the last few years. Usually, one in the lot at any given time.. Some are bent, but most are there because of engine problems that are too expensive for the owner to repair. I think they may be an "interference" engine design that allows the valves to contact pistons when the timing belt slips or goes "away". Any way, as this is a hybrid site, we all know that the solution for reliability and performance is General Motors: Try one of these next time: Hybrid Porsche

G

Amazing cars, especially the Turbo and NA later 16V cars. Another awesome car is the 968. The 944 Turbo was a brute back in the '80s and will easily run down some big name cars even today. Porsche ownership is not as scarry as the internet and speculators say it is...the maintenance stuff is the same price as a Datsun and ownership is equally satisfying and very rewarding.

Yes Please!

86_944T_low_3Q.jpg

Some look great, some are hideous. I think the lowered ones with nice wheels are what's catching my attention!

You may be mistaking the 944 for its less attractive, worse performing, blacksheep brother, the 924. That thing has more VW and Audi in it then Porsche.

924-68%20001.jpg

Hey, I love my 924, even though I do hope there is a special place in hell for whoever came up with the Lambda fuel injection system. My too fuh is tons of fun to drive even though it could use a bit more power. there are a few people that have solved the problem with LS6 Chevy's. What I'm saying is if those big old Chevy's will fit into a 924, they should probably fall right in to a 944. ;)

There's a shop on Nelson, NZ, which has installed a Mercedes S600 V12 in a 924... Saw some photos on their Brag Board in the office once.

Dunno what gearbox and diff was used, but given the 924/944/928 were transaxles with the gearbox/diff integrated into one with a Torque tube from the engine/clutch at the front to the gearbox at the rear, they must have used something. I don't see any real way to fit the same inline four design to a V12... More likely a MB gearbox and a suitable donor diff and axle.

Edited by kiwi303