HybridZ

Fiberglass door panels w/speaker holes

rags

Hi Pete, I hope you are mended and healthy. I have followed this post on your development of your door panels. I have two 71 240z's and would be interested in one set for sure but unsure whether I want them with speaker mount or without. A question I have is one able to stretch the stock vynl enough for the speaker mount or is there extra material needed. I have a new set of OEM panels for the other car so only seeking one set. Could you send me a quote for each complete set of panels and shipping to 54457 (Wisconsin).

Thank you Pete for your skills 

• 2 months later...

What are you guys using for the felt that runs along the window(on door panel)?are you just re-using the old ones?

Here's what I used.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289220

I removed the trim piece and all its staples when I stripped the metal top piece.  I scraped the fuzz from the trim,  then use pop rivets to attach it back to the primed metal top piece.  The seal covers the rivets.  

The pile seal has an adhesive backing that stuck well to the trim, but it's been a few months the edges are peeling.  I'm going to try a little contact cement.

The pile seal is gray instead of black, and it's a little narrower than the original, but it looks really good installed.

• 2 weeks later...

These are for one of the members here, he elected to go with real leather. Im also working on gettting the inlay done for the center door panel,... more than anything Im wating on the freaking door pins, they keep sending me the wrong ones.

First pic is original handle

Second pic is raw leather ...NICE!!!

Third, fourht and fifth pics are templates for cuts and final pieces

Rest of the pics are final product, but these are not the final door panels they'll live on.

How were you able to mount these to the panel?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I havent been around for a while... been busy being a lazy freaking dog and loved every minute of it. Im still making panels and have three sets that I laid up this weekend, all of which are the speaker style panels.

If interested drop me a line at my email probinson_2000@yahoo I can have them trimmed and shipped today for interested parties.

Pete... and Paul

Got mine yesterday; good quality, couple (very) tiny imperfections but nothing you would notice without being anal retentive AND having the door panel exposed.  Pleased with my order.  Can't say much about fitment because it will be some time before I actually attempt to install, but seems about right anyway.

Pete sandwiched a business card inside the panels too, btw... which you wouldn't notice with a covered door of course.

Lastly, in case you're a moron like me and though the idea of glass + fiber seems pretty clear... note that handling these panels bare-handed can lead to tiny pokes/prods that are so small that you won't even notice them at the time but will bother you for an hour or two afterward.  Gloves, and prevent the annoyance!

Happy customer.

Nacitar,

Glad your happy with the work, Its always nice to get good feedback - and bad feedback so I can fix any problems that might come up. Funny about the pokes and prods ... I seem to be immune to such annoyances, or maybe I simply learned my lesson very early on that gloves are indeed a necessity when handling bare fiberglass as the edges can cut the cracker jacks out of you.

Just sat down and read all 17 pages of this post. Very Impressed with Pete’s work. The panels look amazing and you really went the extra mile in your service and integrity. Nice to see some old fashioned craftsmanship and ingenuity still exists in this great land of ours. Car guys and more specifically, Z car guys form a pretty tight community and it’s a fun hobby when people are keeping it fresh like Pete.

Edited by PredatorZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are these still available? I just want to make sure I have this straight... For my 78 280 I would only need to trim a little off the back edge of the door panel for them to fit properly. If I get the non speaker ones, will the window crank work? I don't want to have to go to power windows.