HybridZ

280zx turbo 81' into a 240z

avid.zepeda8

Ok guys haven't been in been looking for a donor car found one. :) so happy bought it for 300 and my question is what are the only part that i can swap in my 240z from the 280zx Turbo. I know that the engine, and harness ,ecu, can i use the defferential from the 280zxt oh stay with the stock. Hope to get ideas from all of you guys here thanks so exited: :):):):) yeah!

Sure you can use the rear end. Save the axles too. What year 240z though? You'll need a mustache bar from a 280z (75-78) with an R200.

I suggest more reading before you jump in though. Check out the FAQ section.

Aside from drive train and maybe a few misc. parts, most of the ZX parts are for the ZX. Save the mirrors if you like that style.

You can sell the suspension bits to 510 nuts, as pretty much all of it is bolt in affair. Larger brakes and beefier struts are 100% for them and costs them much less than aftermarket parts.

Last S130 I crushed I got $80 for the steel in just the chassis, which was less than 200 pounds worth of metal. Then you also have the hood and other bits which can be recycled as well. Could be nearly $200 worth of scrap sitting there if you're willing to let it go (which I'd image you could since it's a donor car).

If you're a man on a budget willing to invest the time like me, save the chassis wiring and cut it up for stock so you always have any color wire and gauge that you want. Keep the relays as they come in handy for spares. If it's a 82-83 S130 than you can cut out the fuse panel off the harness and convert it onto the S30 as it's the blade style fuses, not barrel type.

Headlights are the same 7" round, and if you convert the mounting hardware over it's WAY easier to adjust as long as it's well lubed, unlike the stock S30 mounting hardware which is poo poo.

You can keep the windshield wiper tank and find a place to mount it for methanol.... :-D It's amazing how far such a small container can go when it's only used as an additive under boost.

The 280ZX shift boot can be converted if you want to put the time and energy into the conversion. Only took me a couple hours and some basic tools. I did it mostly to keep out engine bay fumes since I had a gaping hole there, and I only had S130 boots lying around. Some say it looks better than the stock boot... I don't care much. I just did what I could with what I had.

Other than the engine, trans, and rear diff not much else is coming to mind. Maybe someone else will think of some other little goodies. As always, be creative and you'll be amazed the resource a scrap car can be. I've used a scrap hood to make block off plates. Quite handy!

Well was hoping to be able to use the hood the brake system of course the engine and differential the tranny on the 280zxt is AUTO my 240is stick have a 5speed from a 82 n/a can i use that tranny thank you guy for replying hope to get more information on what to do and what not to do thanks Gollum and Jsm

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you can use either the 4-speed that's already in the 240Z or you can use the 5-speed from the '82 280ZX.

You'll have to pull the dowel pin out of the flywheel though. It's only used for the autotragic and won't let you properly mount the manual tranny. Otherwise it will take hours to figure out why the damn thing won't push up that last 1/4"... ask me how I know... ;)