HybridZ

Putting in an electronic speedometer

mazikowski

Alright guys, I've looked all over and haven't been able to turn up much of anything. I'm going to be putting some aftermarket guages in the ZX (including speedometer) and I can't figure out how to get the speed signal. I know the stock guages have a VSS built into the speedometer for the cruise, but I am trying to do away with the stock speedometer. I've seen adapters of some sort before that connect to the cable drive on the transmission and provide you with a signal, but I can't find anything like that now that I'm actually looking. I was also wondering if there might be a VSS from another vehicle that would work as a replacement for the cable drive?

The speedometer I'm getting allows for calibration, so I don't need any specific number of pulses or anything.

Use the speed sensor from a manual transmission, 1991 240SX. Bolts in like any other speedo pinion and meshes perfectly to give you a modern speed sensor on any older L-Engine Tranny.

This is in the archives with further details.

It's my gift for the day.