HybridZ

My AeroDynamic bits and pieces...

Back in 2007 when we did the wind tunnel testing, I was so impressed with Roddy Sugg's car and how well the numbers blew on it, and then how fast it ran at VIR that I planned to bring some of that to my car when it was developed. Over time I picked up a few other things while developing my 996TT in a GT2 car. So here are some of the pics from the build with the front end blocked off, the air box, the other bits and pieces...

130.jpg

131.jpg

fcc2f07b.jpg

73c0cd25.jpg

The sheetmetal airbox now ties into the front of the MSA type3 bumper. I have Kydex that makes a "male" duct that slides into the sheetmetal radiator box that is hard mounted to the chassis and framework for the radiator.

97fe4b63.jpg

81a258c0.jpg

5dd6d932.jpg

Tha front end is closed off with Kydex and has two openings for the carburetor inlets. I closed in the opening for the radiator with some aluminum framework and mesh, along with more kydex for the parking light housings. Eventually I may play with closing off the bottom all the way back to the front subframe.

Moving on to the rest of the car...

186f86ba.jpg

251ced2c.jpg

b0c32737.jpg

The naca ducts are my idea (the car gets stupid hot) and the air foils leading the frame are from Roddy's car.

3a7c36cb.jpg

2118ba53.jpg

51deb17f.jpg

The Vortex Generators really did a great job in the wind tunnel, so I figured I'd add them... Along with the rear wing. The wing mounts weren't tall enough to get into clean air, so I made some uprights out of T6061 aluminum. The car is very stable at high speeds and I'm very pleased overall... However, the real test will come at VIR in September...

Mike

The car hasn't been aligned and corner balanced just yet. There is no door hardware, or door window glass. The rear 1/4 windows and rear hatch are lexan. There is no stock interior in the car. The dash is a sheet aluminum dash and the switch panel and console are Kydex. They don't weigh much. The motor is a V8, but has all the aluminum treatments so we're talking maybe 40# more than the L6. The rear diff and axles are heavier than the R200, but I'm thinking this car should be sub-2500# and Hoping for sub-2400#!

Mike

• 9 months later...

Mike, our Z cars are very similar in trim. Mine scaled out at 2550 with stealies and a stock fuel tank. You should be sub 2500 no problem unless your cage is a lot more extensive than mine. I may have missed it, but which rear wing is that?

Oh, and if you havent, seal up the doors and any other openings to the body well. It has some aero benefit.

Edited by peej410

• 11 months later...

Man this is an oooooold thread...

Wanted to weigh in with CHANGES to my aero and some more data.  The car actually weighed 2709 pounds full of fuel back when I had the small flares, heavy grey 5 stars, and large wing on it.  we did a BUNCH of weight reduction and the car now weighs in at 2625.  Some of the weight reduction was due to wiring changes/removal of the painless nightmare of the painless harness, reconfiguring the fuel deliver which removed the surge cannister/plumbing, extra pump and lines, removal of the windshield wiper assembly/arms/motor, and removal of the passenger seat/mounts/harness/hardware.  I ditched the sheet aluminum dash and went with a FAST touch display on my own custom dash made of kydex.  I also added CCW LM20 wheels and much lighter hoosier tires.

We ditched the big rear wing for now because of stability issues.  Pete, the wing was an ebay special.  I now run the ZCarCustoms JDM rear spoiler and I really like the looks of it.

We've also changed the stance by adding the larger ZForce flares, fender air extractors, carbon vents in the hood.  I do plan to now start working on some subtle side skirts and an under body tray up front, along with fabrication of a rear difuser.  I previously thought this might be a waste of time, But I'm planning to fab something up that can be easily removed.  We plan to be able to attach it off the sides of the fuel cell can (steel structure) and the rear subframe, and maybe use Dseuz fasteners to provide ease of attachment and removal.  more as the bits develop.  I also plan to remove my radiator air box, wrap it in wax paper, and do the cloth/resin hokey pokey to make it fiberglass.  We are also THINKING about dumping the back side air up at the hood... Starting to noodle that over now.

Go to my build page for more updated photos!

Mike