HybridZ

Slightly had to bend oil return line on rb26 twins. BAD???

Zreddy

Hey all,

So I was in the process of swapping in new mounts for my rb26ett project in my 240z, but I ran in to a slight problem. The mounts im using are custom mounts, and one mount seems to be hitting the oil return line slightly. Basically, I slowly modified the frontmost oil return line from the turbo and it is slightly bent to the left and a bit downwards. There aren't any kinks or anything, but this wont effect any of the oil flow with the turbo because the line is bent slightly downwards from its normal position will it? Please any feedback would be appreciated. I know its kind off too late that I did it, but just hoping some info will make me feel better. Lol

Thanks again Hybrid guys.

There's typically a restrictor in the feed line limiting the flow of oil to the turbo, so there shouldn't be any serious pressure in the return line. If you didn't bend it much, then I'm fairly confident it will be fine. If your seriously worried though, you could buy some fittings and a chunk of silicone pipe and replace the return line.

Cheers.

I had the same problem with the McKinney mounts. I ended up cutting the return fitting that screws into the block a little shorter (also added the bead). I also cut the drain tube on the turbo and welded in the new position as well.

6-19-10020.jpg

The oil should drain with your setup no problem. It's just crankcase pressure on the return line.

Cool cool... its good to hear that. Thanks for the input guys.

Gmac708: You seem to have the older version of the mckinney mounts I believe. I used to have the black ones, but I told them i was having fitment issues and they exchanged them for free with the new red ones, which was really cool, and I never had that problem. Maybe you can try that as well if you bought them brand new from them? But regardless, you seem to have fixed the problem, which is good. But yea, mine looks pretty similar, although I bent mine a bit to the left and slightly downwards because it was hitting the mounts im using. Overall, your guy's clarification seems legitimate for the return line.

Thanks again fellas.

Cool cool... its good to hear that. Thanks for the input guys.

Gmac708: You seem to have the older version of the mckinney mounts I believe. I used to have the black ones, but I told them i was having fitment issues and they exchanged them for free with the new red ones

I have the newer red ones, I had them powder coated.

Gmac where did you get your braided oil lines ? are they custom ? Thks

Custom ordered

I did some digging around and found a reciept for the hoses. It looks like I ordered them from atpturbom.com but it looks like they no longer support the custom ordered hoses. I just measured up the lines and ordered what I felt would work.

• 1 year later...

Its been awhile since i've touched the car, but I am in the final stages of getting the car started finally... Lol But, back to my dilemma about the bending of the oil return line. Here is a picture of how it turned out.

1354853173.jpg

I've read that the oil return line isn't pressurized, correct me if I am wrong, but I think I bent the pipe a bit too low where the oil will have a hard time returning to the block at an incline??? I feel that since the piping has a slight decline, that the oil will just sit at the lowest point and will have a hard time making it in to the block. Not sure if that makes sense, but please let me know on your thoughts on this picture.

Thanks guys...

Edited by Zreddy