HybridZ

Are these good replacements for fuel injector harnesses?

The Link is a set I found on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item43a04f8954

I was wondering if you guys think this is a decent replacement for worn and broken connectors for the fuel injectors harnesses?

Or do you think they are cheap?

And if any of you all have better suggestions for replacements, im all ears

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Fixed Link

Those look like the kind with the removal metal clip that is a pain to get out and easy to lose. Volvo connectors are easier to use, with a non-removable spring clip, and probably of higher quality, if you can find a newer car in the junkyard (cheap), or buy new if you have the extra cash.

Edited by NewZed

Well i know my stock coonectors had that metal clip in them. honestly the only reason i need new ones because some one that was helping me with braking the motor down, never saw that style of clips before and broke all mine. lol only thing holding my harnesses down on the injector is zip ties lol. But the meatle clip style didnt bother me to much, but do you have a link of the volvo ones?

• 2 weeks later...

The Link is a set I found on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item43a04f8954

I was wondering if you guys think this is a decent replacement for worn and broken connectors for the fuel injectors harnesses?

Or do you think they are cheap?

And if any of you all have better suggestions for replacements, im all ears

Those are the same type we put on my Son's '76 280Z 7 years ago. Same ones I used when I did my turbo swap 2 1/2 years ago. We soldered them in, used the heat-shrink tubing, they work great. We know how to take them off without breaking anything, but honestly, how often do you pull your injector connections off? I never have once since they were installed...

Can you explain how those are a better inj. plug please?

I'll give that a shot: they don't get hard and break after 30 years, and a simple pressing of the bail releases the injector plug from the 'catch' on the injector body allowing it to be removed. Additionally they have an updated gasket which keeps the contacts a bit dryer than the original 1965 Bosch Design.

They are both "Bosch" design clips. The first is an example of what was the usual offering from the time VW instituted them on the 1968 Type 3 pancake engine. The second was phased in late 70's by most European Manufacturers on the second and third generation Bosch units. It addressed the main shortfall of the original Bosch Design: the clip to hold the injector on was so difficult to remove in the field it usually damaged the connector. Style two was Bosch's answer to that, as well as upgraded boot and sealing against the elements.

I think that would be classified by most people as "A Better Plug," no?

I go take them out of Volvos in the Junkyard. The Euro Boots seem to be made of better rubber, and the plastic used just doesn't seem to degrade like the first-generation plugs did...

I have seen many 68 VW's in the Junkyard and it seems the Euro Plastic Compounding, as well as Rubber for the boots seems to be of a higher standard, they hold up much better. I've been recycling those for years (the boots that is, the connectors break just like ours do...)

If you get the O2 sensor lead from the 240 Volvo's they are a super-high-temp (almost milspec-tefzel insulated wiring) with a length of easily 18" in the engine bay...if you tug and rip into the dash on the other side I'm sure you could harvest closer to 24+ inches of that wire. Plus the lead from the O2 sensor itself is a MALE plug---meaning solder a 3w LED on the end of it and you have your own special Noid Light for testing injector pulses from the ECU, or for making any number of testing lights to connect an O-Scope to test actual pulsewidth... Having those press-on connectors allows you to quickly plug into any sensor on the vehicle and get a lead if you put Banana Plugs on the other end of the lead compatible with your DVOM.

Also, in combination with the O2 Male-Female combination you can quickly make up a set of 'taps' which allow you to plug in these mini-harnesses between harness connector and sensor to probe voltages without using piercing probes, or if you have a recording meter gives a nice secure connection (with adequate length leads to put inside the drivers compartment) to connect to a datalogger or your DVOM while doing a road test of the vehicle.

I can usually find 2 or 3 Volvo 240's in the yards here in SoCal at any given time, and I always carry my Leatherman to 'harvest that which I desire'... Now, about compensation for the $2 entry fee they charge at the gate to merely come in a browse the yard...is anybody here familiar with what 'payment in kind' is supposed to mean? Someone mentioned that to me one time as I was walking out of the yard, but I have no idea what he was talking about... B)

Edited by Tony D

I'll give that a shot: they don't get hard and break after 30 years, and a simple pressing of the bail releases the injector plug from the 'catch' on the injector body allowing it to be removed. Additionally they have an updated gasket which keeps the contacts a bit dryer than the original 1965 Bosch Design.

They are both "Bosch" design clips. The first is an example of what was the usual offering from the time VW instituted them on the 1968 Type 3 pancake engine. The second was phased in late 70's by most European Manufacturers on the second and third generation Bosch units. It addressed the main shortfall of the original Bosch Design: the clip to hold the injector on was so difficult to remove in the field it usually damaged the connector. Style two was Bosch's answer to that, as well as upgraded boot and sealing against the elements.

I think that would be classified by most people as "A Better Plug," no?

I understand your explaination. But the RC engineering connectors listed, I don't see the difference in the clips. They still have the standard metal clip that holds them on. I'm not challenging you in any way. I am just making sure you actually looked. Because I think I know the ones you are talking about, but I don't think they are the ones in the auction. Maybe I am incorrect? I could be. Again, not challenging you, maybe I just don't see the difference.

Don't have time to comb in the interweb for the injector clips in LARGE FORMAT.

Someone else do it.

Also, the injector clips sold by Russ Collins (RC Engineering) are of the Euro-Compound, which generally has better compounding than the Japanese Stuff from the 80's (compounding advances as they years go by) so newer harness clips are better than the older ones on that fact alone, even if they are identical.

Go find a photo of Volvo Clips---and post it. That is what I'm talking about, have been talking about, and am only talking about. From what I can see in the RC Photo (it doesn't get bigger for me...) they are the same clip with the press-to-release bail and not the 'use a small screwdriver and break the clip' type.

It would have been helpful if when you 'weren't challenging me' if you could have presented a photo of what you think I was talking about. I thought I put if forth pretty clearly what they were, and from what I can see from the provided photos in the thread, that is what the RC units are... And what I got from RC. If he's selling original Bosch Clips, then that's news to me, I've never gotten that style clip from his place...not since 1989 at least.