HybridZ

WTB... Early 80's Maxima FRONT SUMP 2.8 block and Oilpan !!!!

DatsunRod

Im looking for a L28 from a Maxima. I was told, yet never seen one but there suppose to be front Sump Engines...

I have an L28 rear sump in My 1968 Datsun 510 now and the Oil Pan That was fab'd By a Less Qualified Person isn't cutting it..

I was told I can Drill the front pick up out and Plug the Mid Pick up... Not sure.. even if so, I need the Front Sump Pan....

Whatch Got ??

Datsun Rod..

Miscmechanic @ A O L . C O M

Im looking for a L28 from a Maxima. I was told, yet never seen one but there suppose to be front Sump Engines...

I have an L28 rear sump in My 1968 Datsun 510 now and the Oil Pan That was fab'd By a Less Qualified Person isn't cutting it..

I was told I can Drill the front pick up out and Plug the Mid Pick up... Not sure.. even if so, I need the Front Sump Pan....

You should also be able to use the oil pan from the 1977-80 Datsun 810 as well as the oil pan from the 1981-84 Maxima’s. These were all “front sumpâ€.

These cars had the 2.4 liter (L24) engine, but their oil pan will fit the L28 block.

The Maxima with the L28 was the diesel Maxima (LD28 engine). These are more difficult to locate as Nissan did not build as many.

The oil pan used by the diesel has additional “winglets†welded on both sides of the front sump to increase the oil capacity by almost a quart. This is probably to one to use, provided you have chassis clearance for the larger diesel pan.

Converting a rear sump block to accept a front sump oil pan involves some machine shop work. You drill and tap bolt the holes in the front oil pickup boss for the new front mounted oil pickup tube and drill a new passage from it to the pickup oil gallery in the block (which runs along side the block).

You also have to block off the rear sump pickup gallery with a pressed-in plug and drill a new hole for the dipstick tube at the front of the block (being very careful not to drill into the main oil gallery). Lastly, you need to plug the old dipstick tube.

I installed an L28 block into my front-sump 810 several years ago. All the machining work cost me about $100.