HybridZ

T-5 to Tremec or T-56

So I have a standard t-5 transmission in my car which worked fine with my chevy 350 but my car is currently getting overhauled since I spun bearings. It is getting bored .30 but still using a stock sized crank so it will now be a 355. Adding an aftermarket camshaft, alum intake, high flow oil pump while I am at it to. Anyways I will prob be up around 380tq and 350 hp somewhere in there and the stock t-5 wont last to long. I am low on cash thanks to the damn machine shop so I am going to baby it til I can save up for something stronger or other options.

So I would like to know what is the best choice for me, a t-56, tremec trans, or beef up the t-5 with one of those expensive kits. I had a custom driveshaft made for my combo now and would not like to redo that but if I have to it is whatever. Pretty much, which manual transmission swap should I look into which would require the least heavy modifications from my current standpoint. Or is doing one of those t-5 gear upgrades wortth it? Opinions would be very thankful.

All sorts of potential opinions on this topic.... my preference would be for an aftermarket upgrade to the T5, if your current gear set is to your liking. But that's a $2500 adventure. There are cheaper options, but they might require modifications to the clutch/hydraulics. A new blowproof bellhousing, clutch pressplate/disk, throwout bearing and plumbing --> another $1000; but you might be able to recycle most of these components with an upgraded T5.

I have a T-56 and in hindsight and for saving some money I would go with a T5. Even if I had spent some money and gone with built T5 I would still be money ahead. Also the 6th gear is redicilous, I can't even use it unless I'm doin 70mph or greater. And like they said, it is heavier, and expensive. But that is just my .02

Cheers

Ryan~

Alright so I got a feeling the t-5 is the right choice to stay with. I will be on the lookout for maybe a secondhand built t-5 or if I get lucky the gears. I will probably need to install a new clutch while I am down there but thats not to big of an issue. The other thing I just found out is my standard t-5 cannot do the gear upgrade. Anyone have advice on a tremec tko-500 swap.

Edited by 240zBoy

I have about the same engine build as you do 240ZBOY. I took a V6 World Class T-5, bought all new hardened (Mustang Cobra) internals and rebuilt it myself for about 500 bucks which is holding up fine my build. I've got some posts on it somewhere, probably 4 or so years ago.

Website was 'thegearbox.org' where I got all my parts from.

Edited by BillZ260

I have about the same engine build as you do 240ZBOY. I took a V6 World Class T-5, bought all new hardened (Mustang Cobra) internals and rebuilt it myself for about 500 bucks which is holding up fine my build. I've got some posts on it somewhere, probably 4 or so years ago.

Website was 'thegearbox.org' where I got all my parts from.

Really interesting. I have a standard gm non world class though, so they do offer the better rings and such which would help but I don't believe putting world class gears in is possible. I am knew to this but this sounds like an affordable option that maybe I could play with a different t-5 and build before something bad happens to my t-5. Then sell when its out if it hasn't blown up by then haha.

I went with the t-56 in my build. I like it a lot, I'm only making about 330hp but about 385trq.

the only issue with using a stock t56 setup is that to use an lt1 flywheel your motor must have a 1 piece rear main seal. I spent less than $2k on my trans install, and was able to reuse the driveshaft that I had built for my 700r4.

from my exp from other cars, ive found the tremec 5 and 6 spds to be very picky, and they require a good amount of attention. the t56 would be a great tranny, but seeing the trans tunnel would have to be modified. Edit: I mean to say, i had shifting problems with the 5 speed tko600 (i think?) in a chevy II platform.

what kind of shifter would you be running?

Edited by brewtown

Still stuck deciding, some more input would be awesome or links to aftermarket options would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know if the amc t-5 mates up a to a chevy 350 anyways. I pulled numbers off awhile ago and believe it was from an amc but that does not sound right to me.

Edited by 240zBoy