HybridZ

FC Datalogit, for those of you thinking about purchasing

rayaapp2

Anyone that has this unit knows that the yahoo groups is the support forum associated with this box. But what happens when you have a real issue that requires debugging or physical repair?

I sent multiple emails(around 6 in total now) out to FC Datalogit 8/21. Its 9/12 and other than one response asking me to make sure my pins hadnt broken off the connector and another stating they would be on Holiday overseas I have not had any real support. Ive lodged complaints on the yahoo groups forum asking for any help. Ive sent emails to FC datalogits tech and sales emails(they do not offer a phone number).

I drive my car on the daily. A few months back I replaced my turbo and its clear that the new turbo requires a retune at idle 16:1 and 11.1 at WOT. Did I mention my car is a daily driver? So I can continue to drive my car into the ground or get a rental car while I wait... **** Options if you ask me when considering this was a $300 unit. Im currently researching the FC-HAKO and seriously considering AEM(if I can find the funding).

I will post back if I ever hear anything for those people at FC Datalogit, but right now Im really frustrated. 3 USB converter cables, multiple lap top installs(including wiping and installing other OS's), and trying all different arrays of port and baud rate options Im stuck with the same error and what I can only assume is an issue with the FC Datalogit box. My PFC works flawlessly from what I can tell. The lap tops are working flawlessly, and my cables/cable drivers seems to be working as designed so all thats left is the fc box and no support to confirm the problem... much less get a repair going.

So MY advice, THINK LONG AND HARD about spending $300USD on this device. stick with a hand controller, buy something else cheaper to do the same thing like FC HAKO or anything where you can expect to not have support for months on end. BTW I dont seem to be the first to get this treatment. I wish I could find someone to shove a size 13 boot into!

BTW: I understand this may be bad form, but at least others will be warned... esp those stateside that cannot easily drive over to a manufacture and deal with a person. And YES I will post back if I ever get a proper response. I have requested that they make the effort to phone me and give me over the phone support since email isnt their strongest point of communication. That was last week.

Edited by rayaapp2

I just got a phone call from the USA Distributor that happened to see my posts on the Yahoo Groups Forum. He has offered to take a look at it. He cannot do repairs, but he is willing to help diagnose what he can.

That makes me feel a lot better.

Thank You Evan for the offer. The Distributor has some extra tricks up his sleeve for diagnosis. They are located in Texas. USA FC Datalogit Distributor

I will let you guys know how this turns out.

I might point out that as long as you buy a working/new unit this product works fantastic. Some folks have driver issues with the serial to USB adapters, but if you have an old lap top with a serial connection your golden. Just seriously consider the fact that if your stuck in a pinch as I am with my DD down and I NEED to retune, then support can be VERY slow. Ive been talking with a lot a people that have had VERY similar experiences with support. From what I can tell FC Datalogit will eventually get around to helping you. How many months can you wait? Most people that have these units are not using them for a DD. And that is partially why the support takes so long. Its a small company that makes these. But even guys on the track may need support the week before race day, so I cannot fathom the lengthy wait times experienced.

Anyway, I will definitely post back with the progress as I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I received news from Rotary Performance(the American side distributor). My FC-Datalogit is in fact faulty. They tested it and came up with the same exact results.

So here I am 9/27 still waiting for a response from FC-Datalogit. I sent them one more last email stating that I need repair immediately. My FC Box is still with Rotary Performance waiting for FC datalogit to contact us back. Rotary Performance is also trying to contact FC Datalogit.

I will not buy a new FC Box. Its just not worth $300 plus shipping.

I will wait until I can get my old unit repaired, and hope that they are not going to try and **** me on the bill for that. I cannot imagine the repair would be over $100 when APEXi charged me $100 to ship my unit to Japan and back and for some major board repair after it fried some of the diodes, resistors, and a chip onboard(not to mention the replacement commander port).

In the case that this gets dragged out for several weeks I will likely buy the FC-HAKO, and if the FC Datalogit ever makes it back repaired just sell it.

Ray

• 1 month later...

Its 11/22 and this began before 8/21

I just received word from FC-Datalogit

"After investigation we think there is a pcb faulty likely a manufacturing fault. Usually there is no warranty once the unit is sold by the original owner but considering the circumstances I have decided to replace the unit free of charge."

I sent them a thank you letter and Im feeling a bit better considering they've gone out of their way to replace the unit free of charge! I still would not likely buy another one considering costs out there comparatively, but at least I was not completely screwed on the deal. In the end FC-Datalogit came through 3 months down the line. I should have the new unit in 3 weeks or so from my estimation of how long it took to get there.