HybridZ

Car seems to be wiggling while driving.

The tracking of my car seems to be a bit odd while under heavy acceleration or highway speeds. Hitting a bump or if the tire follows a crack in the road, it seems the front end will follow the road while the rear may wiggle a bit and then fall into place. It's like the car is flexing in the middle. I know that the bushings for the sway bars need to replaced but am unsure how big of a difference the new ones would make. Would this "wiggle" be due to potential weak frame rails? Bushings? It's hard to explain in text how it feels while driving.

Car: '73 240z

I had that problem years ago and it turned out to be broken control arm bolts at the differential. My z changed lanes without moving the steering wheel, not a fun feeling when you're going 75. Scary problem, easy fix.

Are you talking about the bolts by #43 & #45 in the below diagram?

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=45

Most likely not your problem, but i bought a z a couple of years ago and had similar problems that turned out to be the wheel bearings were bone dry. Pretty scary driving experience!

Mind explaining this one further? Such as the affects it made to the driving. Is there a quick way to find out if the wheel bearings are dry or is it a matter of tearing it all apart to find out?

Best advice at this time is to take the car to an alignment shop and have a mechanic check out steering, suspension and brakes. The mechanic can check your wheel bearings while he is checking everything else. These are old cars so you have to assume that everything under the car is close to 40 years old and will need repair/replacement. In the interest of performance and safety you should plan on renewing steering, suspension and brake system components before you do anything else.

Note that worn steering rack bushings will allow the steering rack to move and cause the car to wander and/or exhibit uncertain steering. Best to replace them with polyurethane bushings when you are ready as the stock rubber bushings allow more movement of the steering rack. Worn compression rod bushings can also contribute to steering problems and darting on hard braking.

Have the car diagnosed and make a list of all the things that need to be replaced and then work the list. Also, read the spots off a 240Z factory service manual or Haines manual. That will be more efficient than trying to diagnose each problem as it comes up here.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money getting your Z road worthy.

Edited by Miles

Are you talking about the bolts by #43 & #45 in the below diagram?

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=45

No, Part #21 is what I am talking about and is the front differential mount. It has 4 14mm bolts holding it up that also holds the front inboard side of the control arm.

Also, if you don't have experience with this sort of thing, Miles gave you the best advice.

Edited by Tank

I concur with Miles - just get the thing looked at at an alignment shop. But if you want to do a lot yourself, jack up each wheel and spin the wheel looking for bulges on the tire (you'd be suprised how much trouble bad tires can give) or broken belts or a bent rim (common). Then shake each tire top to bottom feeling for a bad or loose wheel bearing (rare) or a bad ball joint (very common). Have a buddy hold the steering wheel with each front tire in the air and push back and forth looking for a broken bushing (rare) or loose bolts or bad inner or outer tie rod ends (very common). Do same for back wheels. If nothing found, go to alignment shop. They will do same thing, but a better job and can then check all your measured alignment settings and correct them on the spot. Bad sway bar mounts and weak frame rails will not cause your problem. Super wide low profile tires sure can-they love to "hunt" along a crack in the road.

Edited by RebekahsZ