HybridZ

MS Extra/3.57 Starting and Power Issues

Doc Hawk

I am running MS1 Extra on a 3.57 board.

F54 block with dished pistons from f54 turbo.

Compression is 165 on all cyls

p79 head

240z "A" grind NA cam

240sx throttle body

pallnet fuel rail with 440cc injectors w/inline resistors

Non egr n42 intake

T04e turbo with nice intercooler

Once started, the car runs and drives, although it feels like a 140 HP car off boost - enough to get out of its own way, but not quick. On boost, it feels about as quick as my old 2.8L NA. It will only rev to about 5000-5100 RPMs before it just doesn't want to rev anymore.

It is very hard to start *unless I use jumper cables or a charger*. The battery is an Optima Yellow Top with 13.6 volts, and it has plenty of juice - it can turn that starter very strong for a loooong time, over and over. The battery tests fine.

I have adjusted pulse widths (2.0ms), warmup wizard, cranking enrichment, after start enrichment, first start enrichment, and everything else I can find. Nothing seems to affect startup, hot nor cold. It is not flooding (checked plugs, and had settings that erred on the side of lean, too).

Could the hard start and the low power output be related? Bad coil? Are their some grounds that may be suspect?

Thanks for any help.

David

Edited by Doc Hawk

Threw a spare coil at it. Starts right up, over and over.

Makes sense, yes? Bad coil giving too much resistance, low spark energy, not enough to start the car without a second battery but enough to keep a running motor, running... sluggish performance from inefficient combustion.

I will try driving it tomorrow.

Edited by Doc Hawk