HybridZ

Maxima caliper brackets

So I went to the salvage yard to pull the rear maxima caliper brackets to do a rear brake upgrade, and the caliper bracket was welded to the control arm. From the pictures I've seen, it looked like they just bolted off. It was an '83 maxima, as well. Needless to say, I'm confused.

Anyone want to shed some light?

The need to be from a late '80's Maxima? I was under the impression they had to be an '81 - '84.

Correct on the impression. Do some searching. There are many threads on the topic. I recalled a thread that required heavy modification of the 85-88 version and another similar to your question is why I stated I beleive there were two options on the earlier Maximas.

The only 1983-84 Maxima's I have seen with the bolt-on rear caliper bracket (pictured in post #3) were the diesel Maxima's.

So for clarity then Steve, all 81-82 Maxima's had bolt on, and then all 83-84 Maxima's had weld on except the Diesels.

So for clarity then Steve, all 81-82 Maxima's had bolt on, and then all 83-84 Maxima's had weld on except the Diesels.

Yes.

Summary:

The 1981-82 Maxima's used bracket 44155-N3202 which is dicussed here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/59810-which-maxima-bracket-for-rear-disc-swap-have-seperate-part-s/page__p__548395__fromsearch__1#entry548395

The 1983-84 Maxima's had the welded on brackets and the diesels used the desired 44155-04S10 bracket.

The 1985-89 Maxima's used the "flat" (bolt on) bracket.