HybridZ

Need a relay that fits '79 ZX Coupe

Cartesian

I've got one bad relay in my engine compartment relay box. I went Google shopping for a replacement but the only type of relay that any of the online warehouses offered had the wrong prong configuration. I even ordered one, because it was 'guaranteed' to work with my model year, even though the picture showed that it wouldn't (there was a disclaimer that the picture might not accurately depict the part you get, but unfortunately it was a perfect facsimile). Of course when it arrived it wasn't the type I needed.

Anyway, I've attached two images. The first is an approximation of the relay type I find on all the warehouse websites, the second is the kind I actually need (except mine has 903 printed instead of 810). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

post-4029-052995400 1316452813_thumb.jpg

post-4029-068739600 1316452867_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Cartesian:

The relay you pictured is probably out of production made in Japan. The American Standard Automotive Relay is either 4 contacts for Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) or 5 contacts for Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) and the sockets for same are most likely 5 contacts and compatible for either SPST or DPST American Standard Automotive Relays. Since the relays that you pictured are 5 contacts they also are DPST Relays. Relays are specified by coil voltage and contact current ratings. The most standard American Automotive Relay is 12 volts coil and 30-40 Ampere rated contacts.

Suggest modifying your relay box to accept American Standard Automotive Relays. Bosch and Tyco are two of the primary manufacturers of these relays. Trying to find the Japanese replacements is like finding hens teeth.