HybridZ

Clear markers/signals/tailights...?

ZXR_KiD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rest assured they have not been forgotten, we've just had personal matters to deal with. next update should be thurs/friday we'll likely be making a new mold to try to get the bottom edge flashing to cast better with less trimming aswell as we should have the equipment to properly deal with the bubbles in our hands by that time, if not we'll still go ahead and cast a bubbled peice to properly check our mold.

in other good news our test have proven this material to be EXTREMELY durable as it took nearly every ounce of my strength to break a test peice of 1/8"thick material over my knee.

I assure you at the point that we will soon be at these will be the REAL DEAL and TOP QUALITY lenses.

I will also add that we are having dificulty locating a set of GOOD tail lights to attempt to reproduce lenses, if we want good parts we have to have good parts to start with. so anyone wanting clear tailights may have to help source a set for mold making purposes... the lenses will have to be removed from the light housing but otherwise will be completly un-harmed,un-altered and un-marked availible for return if needed

we've got our system components installed and are pleased to announce we have our first 100% bubble free casting , or atleast I am told, I'm not with the system at the moment to see it for myself, but I should have pics very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

No luck on craigslist so far. Here's a thought. Mine are off my 79 2+2. Nothing special but i think they are in good shape. ( gotta dig em out tomorrow and check) will they be destroyed in the process of using them for tooling?? If no, and if they are decent, my car is quite a ways away from re assembly. I would be happy to loan em out to you for a small discount on a pair of clears!! Any suggestions on how to remove the lenses from the rest of the housing without killing them?

D~

We've got the first mold for the front turnsignals made as well as a 100% production ready mold for the markers.

we still havn't started to do any math to figure out actual costs of anything so I still can't give any prices...

and Shuttle,

I'm not sure of a good way to remove the lenses from the early light housings yet, I started to expiriment with taking apart a bad one but quickly discovered mine was already cracked all the way through and therefore obviously didn't come free cleanly. all parts that we cast molds off of are 100% unharmed and unmodified. the only thing we do to them is a VERY thourough cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got our production mold for the marker lights ready to rock.

the turnsignal mold showed us we have too many imperfections in our original peice to use for a perfect part but we'll see how well the parts turn out from the larger size molds.

also for the fun of it we picked up some dye's and now have the ability to smoke or fog them in nearly any conceiveable color.

we have a smoked peice made that I should be able to get a couple shots of here shortly

As far as pricing, goes... with the time/money we've got into the setup to build these we'd have to end up close to $100/set of 4 for the markers,

Edited by ZXR_KiD