HybridZ

OBX R200 lsd problems

egzlilgituarboy9

So i got my OBX LSD installed the other day and when it was installed i took it out for the first time i then came to realize this loud grinding noise that would happen when i let off the throttle in a gear and left it in gear and when I got out of the car and looked at the rear end i could see that the stub axles are hitting the differential housing should I be putting a spacer in before I put the stub axle in it? or is there something else wrong? It only happens when I am decelerating in a gear but goes away when I am on the throttle.

There is another thread that talks about the springs under the gears. I mentioned in that thread the possibility of installing a solid spacer since the springs wear, but I haven't followed up to see if anyone had done it or had even looked into it yet. Your problem would also be solved by putting a solid spacer in there. Could use a spacer with springs, or without...

The side gears move relative to the little worm gears inside. Underneath them are spring washers. There is another thread where people are complaining about the springs wearing out. If you replaced the spring stack with a solid spacer, or put in a spacer and fewer washers, there would be less movement in the side gears and the axles wouldn't rub on the housing.

• 3 months later...

Same thing is happening to me. I have an OBX in a 3.9 R200 and it sounds like it is coming apart on deceleration. I took it to a diff shop where they took it apart and found nothing wrong. I noticed the right (long) side axle was scrubbing the housing. I should also say I am using half shafts, not cv shafts. I have reinstalled everything but have not driven it yet, the car isn't exactly street legal so I have to be picky about the times I test drive it. I expect the same results, insane right? If it still occurs, I will switch to a solid spacer.

• 3 weeks later...

did you check the spring washers? mine were shot so i replaced them with better ones. seems to be good now wont be back in the car for a while though

Same thing is happening to me. I have an OBX in a 3.9 R200 and it sounds like it is coming apart on deceleration. I took it to a diff shop where they took it apart and found nothing wrong. I noticed the right (long) side axle was scrubbing the housing. I should also say I am using half shafts, not cv shafts. I have reinstalled everything but have not driven it yet, the car isn't exactly street legal so I have to be picky about the times I test drive it. I expect the same results, insane right? If it still occurs, I will switch to a solid spacer.

I replaced the washers with the rbryant kit. I wonder how many people are using the stock halfshafts? That could be one problem, the stub axle being slightly shorter than the cv axle stub. Not sure, I'm thinking of selling all of the R200 stuff I have and going with a sti R180 after some light reading on beta motorsports site. Oh and JMortenson, I think you have the solution, but I'm at the point were I want a reliable part, hence the change.

Edited by Tank

• 4 months later...

I replaced the washers with the rbryant kit. I wonder how many people are using the stock halfshafts? That could be one problem, the stub axle being slightly shorter than the cv axle stub. Not sure, I'm thinking of selling all of the R200 stuff I have and going with a sti R180 after some light reading on beta motorsports site. Oh and JMortenson, I think you have the solution, but I'm at the point were I want a reliable part, hence the change.

After months of traveling a lot with work, I finally got the chance to take the diff out and inspect the obx unit. The shop I had change the bearings in the diff had torqued the cap bolts on the obx too much AND used red thread locker. After cleaning that up and looking at my washers, they were not all centered thus not doing their job. So i reconfigured them and reinstalled everything. It works good now, although I did hear my exhaust hitting the housing some, there was plenty of room with the R180. But at least the differential is ok now!

So is it that *** little dust cap on the stub axles that rubs the case? I cant see or imagine it being anything else. I think I'll just cut thru the 2 spot welds and remove mine as my new seals are different than the OG's and don't make much use of the dust cap anyway. I'll risk a little dirt getting in if it means no grinding noise every time I lift the throttle.

I stand corrected. even with the dust cap out of the picture, the back side of the studs come very close to the case . . . think i'll grind some of the case till it resembles the other side. There is alot of meat there, not too worried about hurting it. The short axle has alot more clearance but i"ll probly smooth out that side a little incase they still rub which I bet they will.

Anyone have any idea what the maximum compression of a spring washer stack could be? 1/4" max I'm thinking. I bought the rbryant kit and pre-loaded it by his instruction so I've got a full stack in there, no spacer.

How much longer is a CV stub vs a ujoint stub? that would give me a ballpark figure of how much clearance is needed.