HybridZ

R200 Diff Axles?

zohanisback

The thread I found on here is great regarding the applications and models the different differentials were used in, but I didn't see one thing: if I'm swapping an R200 into my 260z with an R180, can I reuse the stock axles and drive shaft? Is the R200 long nose and 180 the same length? Not that it's terribly relevant, but I already completed a 5 speed swap into the 260z.

This thread? It's got all that.

The R200 is wider than the stock R180 diff that comes in the 240Z, but most people use the stock halfshafts when they swap this diff in. This can lead to the halfshafts bottoming out which can cause handling issues. For more info read the R200 Handling Issues link here: http://www.betamotor...cing/index.html The solution here appears to be to use the CV joints from the 300ZX Turbo when installing into a 240Z.

The parts list needed to bolt in a longnose R200 into a 240Z is as follows:

1. mustache bar from 280Z with R200

2. yoke (companion flange) from 280Z with R200

3. rear cover from 280Z or ZX with R200

4. side stub shafts from 280Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to stock halfshafts

FOR EARLY 70-71 Z's only, you need 5 -7.

5. Longer 72-78 driveshaft

6. Curved transverse link that sits right behind the diff from 72-78 Z

7. Flip front diff mount around on crossmember

Precisely why I opened this thread, I've heard it both ways and different stories between the 260z and 240z..

Getoffmyinternet:

That says 240z. I have a 260z and I wasn't sure if there were differences in the half shafts between the 240 and 260.

So...it sounds like the 240z half shafts are the same as the 260z. I'll go ahead and just get the R200 axles and mustache bar as well and swap them in.

LowRider: Did the axles set lower than they did before?

You guys are confusing half [drive]shafts with the stub [axles]. I haven't heard the drive shafts called axles until now, or perhaps I haven't been paying attention?

I believe 240z=260z.

Also just to add to the confusion, from beta motorsports:

I've had a few folks tell me that some 280Z halfshafts are shorter then the 240/260Z halfshafts. I've traded e-mails with 3 long time Z racers and all of them say the've never come across any shorter halfshafts that fit in the 240/260/280Z chassis. A couple Z parts hoarders that I know checked through their piles of halfshafts and were not able to locate any 240/260/280Z R180 or R200 halfshafts that were shorter. I think the idea of a shorter driver's side halfshaft for the R200 insalls in the 280Z is a myth.

If you don't want them to bottom out, get CVs or

keep the static rear ride height at a point where the rear lower control arms still point down.
If this doesn't concern you, just get the following:

1. mustache bar (from 280Z with R200)

2. companion flanges (from 280Z with R200)

3. rear cover (from 280Z or ZX with R200)

4. stub axles (from 280Z or ZX with R200) to bolt up to stock half shafts

Precisely why I opened this thread, I've heard it both ways and different stories between the 260z and 240z..

Getoffmyinternet:

That says 240z. I have a 260z and I wasn't sure if there were differences in the half shafts between the 240 and 260.

So...it sounds like the 240z half shafts are the same as the 260z. I'll go ahead and just get the R200 axles and mustache bar as well and swap them in.

LowRider: Did the axles set lower than they did before?

If by lower you mean more compressed, then yes. The R200 is wider on the left side thus compressing the driver's halfshaft. I had troubles getting my drivers side halfshaft in so I searched on here. I found out about a number of people having the shaft actually bottom out, causing handling problems. There was a thread that a member started that showed how to fix the binding issues by shortening the shaft by a half inch. I did just that, shortened it.

But some have problems with the length of the halfshaft, and others don't so who knows...

It seems no two are created equal. I flipped the races on my CVs but still had trouble getting the right side in with the control arm free. I had to jack it up from the control arm itself and then was barely able to wiggle it in place. Doesn't seem to bind though as long as there's weight on the wheels, which sounds like the exact opposite of your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so after some research I think I've figured this one out, lol. The stub shafts go into the diff, the half shafts meet with the wheel, correct? So I'll just grab the parts list that getoffmyinternet suggested and call it good.

As a side question, will the R200 maintain a higher speed to RPM ratio than the R180? Has anyone swapped in another spider gear instead to get better fuel economy with the 280zx 5 speed (which I have in the 260z).

Thanks for all your guys' help! I do appreciate it!

That's correct. I think I'm getting the confusion now too. I thought you were talking about the axles the wheel bolts onto, which you don't need if you're using your original half shafts of course. Yes you will need the ones that go into the diff if the one you get doesn't come with them. if you get an R200 from a 280z it will simplify the whole process because you won't have to buy a rear cover and it should already have the output shafts. If you get an R200 from say a z31 then it will be set up for CVs and have an incompatible cover. I went that route because I was planning on CVs in the first place and got the later stub axles because they are stronger.

The R200 will undoubtedly be a lower speed than the R180. The difference is the final drive ratio, depending on what it came out of. The higher the number, the higher the reduction, ie. the slower the wheels turn at a given rpm. In other words your revs will be higher. The R180 was 3.364 (a/t is 3.545) and the R200 most often comes 3.700 but there are also 3.900 and higher.

280Zs usually came with 3.54 R200s. Most 280ZX 5 speeds came with 3.9. 1979 ZX and the 300ZXs manuals came with 3.7. 300ZX autos came with 3.54s but might have a different pinion flange. Just random recollections from browsing the FSMs to see what's out there.

If you find a car, the FSM will tell you what it came with. Of course, someone may have swapped in the past.

280Zs usually came with 3.54 R200s. Most 280ZX 5 speeds came with 3.9. 1979 ZX and the 300ZXs manuals came with 3.7. 300ZX autos came with 3.54s but might have a different pinion flange. Just random recollections from browsing the FSMs to see what's out there.

If you find a car, the FSM will tell you what it came with. Of course, someone may have swapped in the past.

Edit - Just realized that the 300ZX NA autos came with 3.7s. The turbos came with 3.54. Just correcting an error, no guarantees this is right either though.

This thread is confusing so I'll just answer your questions outright.

can I reuse the stock axles and drive shaft?

Yes but verify that the half-shafts don't bottom when the suspension is at full droop. Another fool proof option is to just pull an r200 + half-shafts out of a 280z and swap them into your 260z

Is the R200 long nose and 180 the same length?

Yes, you can use the same drive shaft with r180 and r200...assuming they are both long nose.

You also need to get an r200 mustache bar.

Edited by rossman

LOL, ok, I'm all squared away guys. I'll pick up the stub acles for sure and probably grab the halfshafts, too. They're like an extra $50 at the place I can get these from.

So I have the stock R180 that came with the 260z. The car was originally an AT. Here are two sites that have some general info on differential ratios:

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

I have a few other sites with the ratios on them, too if anyone wants them.

So I'm currently running 3.54 gears. If I want even lower ratios (which I do for better MPG and once I get the LS1 in), I need a 1979 280zx 2 seater, manual transmission 4 speed. That will give me a 3.36 ratio. Time to start the hunt people!

Edited by zohanisback