HybridZ

Very Cool Turbo Setup

Arif

I went to the local car show tonight and saw this strange looking Volvo with a HUGE turbo sitting on top of the engine. So I park next to him and check out his set up. Here are the details: Volvo 2.4L engine with 11:1 compression, Vovlo/Holstet truck turbo, custom exhaust manifold and dual wastegates.

He's running 100% ethanol on this thing.

The reason for the dual wastegates is because he's separated the exhaust gases from cylinders 1 and 4 from 2 and 3. This way the turbo sees exhaust gasses in synch rather than all 4 cylinders. According to the owner (who used to work at Bell Engineering aka Corky Bell's shop) another benefit is turbo lag is greatly reduced despite the size of the turbo on a rather small engine. Enjoy the pics:

2011-09-23193344.jpg

2011-09-23193255.jpg

2011-09-23193130-1.jpg

Edited by Arif

This was in San Antonio at a burger joint called Biff Buzbys. I had never seen a set up like his before. I asked him if he can put a big turbo on a 2.4 then you should be able to run a T4 turbo on a 2.8 and it should be as responsive as a T3/T4 turbo and see higher boost levels at lower rpms.