HybridZ

Is it normal for turbos to sound like bov

ZT-R

Hey guys, i dont have my intakes installed yet but driving my carn when i get into boost and let off, my blow off valve vents and then as the engine rpms are coming down the turbos sound like they are outgasing or something. Is this compressor surge or is this normal? I dont know if you will hear this with filters on it or not.

Actually some of those Synapse BOV demonstrations are slightly informative. Despite what all the comments say on youtube.

Anyway, basic blow off valve theory applies here to either stock or Synchronic type.

I would say your initial blast from the BOV is giving you the typical BOV sound, but is being followed by the BOV's still being open but without full pressure behind them. So what your hearing may just be the turbos being vented through the BOV system still.

HKS super sequential. I will have to post some audio of it. It sounds bad ass but doesnt sound like the blow off. After the initial blow off or 2 it as engine rpm come down (say i let off at 5k) as it goes to say 4k it sounds like someone opening a coke but not quite that distinguished, maybe muffled. Then at 3900 another coke, and 3850 a diet dr pepper followed by a throw back mt dew at 3800. :P

Edited by ZT-R

Flutter maybe?

the HKS SSQV suffers from a bit of flutter. Even the 3rd gen ones. They havent quite sorted that out. The Synapse seems a little better, but still not worked out.

The only other thing that comes to mind is decel injector shut off issues. If your injectors are not shutting off on decel at those times the turbo may be spooling up causing a delayed flutter of the BOV valve. Granted Im reaching here, but we dont have much to go on without tools.

Other than that, have you messed with the adjustment screw on the SSQV? The one your not suppose to adjust.

And Im sure you've triple checked your vacuum hose routing at this point, correct?

Will check out your video when you get it up and see if there is anything more I can add.

Mine did that when i had a big HKS blowoff on the stock turbo setup. if you put your hand in front of the turbo and rev the motor( not too close) you will feel air pushing of the turbine inlet. my guess is the blowoff wasnt sized correctly or it was set too tight.

right now with the T88-34D and a 60mm Tial blowoff it does not do it. just hear a swhish sounds coming from the blowoff, no flutter.