HybridZ

Texas Turbo Tom 240 to LS2/T56/Magnacharger build

I got a chance  to drive my car yesterday... Its hard to explain the feeling of driving a 2500 pound car and having over 600 horsepower on tap at all times. Everything seems to be working as I continually ran out of real estate every time I pulled it seems I couldn't get halfway into 3rd gear without hitting well over a hundred and having to let out of it. I'm planning on bringing the car to TX2K15 with guys from the shop and trying to round up other LS Datsun Z owners as well. It seems when I was driving I was more concentrated on keeping it straight and on the road then looking around at gauges or anything else it took every bit of concentration for me to keep it on the road and straight. There are some things that will need to be changed and upgraded I'm going to be putting in camber plates adjustable lower control arms and maybe a Kirkey seat. I am sure it will be second nature driving this car but for now there is a difference that takes some getting used to in my end.
This car is fun, scary fast, and a force to recognize all at the same time...... hell yeah.

Edited by texis30O

I am going Saturday early AM to pick up the Z and drop off the Supra.  ( Supra needs some more tuning, and a few other things. ) I will be drivin the Z around a bit to see what needs to be addressed.  I am trying to get her ready for TX2K15.  The cage still needs to be put in.  I have the rest of the sound deadening material to put in the car and a new hatch strut so I will do some things while I have her at the house.  I will make sure the GoPro is mounted up and ready to go for the ride home.  lol...... I hope I don't get a ticket..... ( it took me less than 48 hours to get pulled over in the Supra)

• 1 month later...

I have the car back.  I am going through some things that I need to tie up before TX2K15 events.  I am going to the events but have not signed up to compete.  I will be out at night checking out things from spot to spot.  If given the chance for some races I will most likely take them but I am not going to actively seek them out.  I played with a Mustang and a Camaro SS and a Challenger on my way home yesterday.  I let out of it at 125 ( per the Speedhut GPS speedo) and was in 5th, I didn't even see a shift light come on in the car.  I don't want to push it too much as I believe I am still in the break in period for the clutch. 

The car was supposed to go to my plasti -dip guy today but the rain kept me from getting it to him. 

I have put new rubber gaskets on all the sidemarkers, and pedals in the car. 

Here are some pics of the Kirkey seat which is on factory Datsun sliders, the roll cage, and the hood on the car. The car will be painted to match the hood for a little bit while I save up for the next stage which will be the fiberglass getting reworked on the flares and front airdamn.  

I have LED projector headlights, LED tail lights and other LED lighting to install on the car as they are all set to arrive in the next week or so.  The car got picked to be int he Rice Bowl here in Houston so I will be showing the car there on the first weekend of April.  

post-2224-0-08185900-1425861153_thumb.jpg

post-2224-0-23275100-1425861205_thumb.jpg

I have the car back.  I am going through some things that I need to tie up before TX2K15 events.  I am going to the events but have not signed up to compete.  I will be out at night checking out things from spot to spot.  If given the chance for some races I will most likely take them but I am not going to actively seek them out.  I played with a Mustang and a Camaro SS and a Challenger on my way home yesterday.  I let out of it at 125 ( per the Speedhut GPS speedo) and was in 5th, I didn't even see a shift light come on in the car.  I don't want to push it too much as I believe I am still in the break in period for the clutch. 

The car was supposed to go to my plasti -dip guy today but the rain kept me from getting it to him. 

I have put new rubber gaskets on all the sidemarkers, and pedals in the car. 

Here are some pics of the Kirkey seat which is on factory Datsun sliders, the roll cage, and the hood on the car. The car will be painted to match the hood for a little bit while I save up for the next stage which will be the fiberglass getting reworked on the flares and front airdamn.  

I have LED projector headlights, LED tail lights and other LED lighting to install on the car as they are all set to arrive in the next week or so.  The car got picked to be int he Rice Bowl here in Houston so I will be showing the car there on the first weekend of April.

Let me know when your ready to put that car to the test and I'll oblige.

Well this really sucks.  The weather has been shitty here in Houston for 2-3 weeks now.  The humidity has killed the paint job. So all of the detail that we were putting in it is scrapped for a base 1 color paint job for now.  I will go back later and do what I intended to do.  I am changing the color to a Silver for now.  Plasti dip is so cheap and easy to use that I have a feeling I will be changing colors every so often.

Wide ZG flares from JPN_garage for now.  I have some other stuff in the works. 

The wheels are a Satin Grey.  The whole black wheel thing is played out for me. 

It is supposed to rain off and on all weekend so that could kill my possibilities of getting out.  With my ECU sitting in the cowl area this car will NEVER see a drop or rain......not like it was going to any way.

Damn that silver looks nice with those satin grey wheels. I'm following your build closely, I'm going to order Will's IRS package when they're produced. Which coilovers did you use with the Koni's? Have you had a chance to get a sense of the handling? If so, what are your thoughts on your combo?

Will and I put a package together,  it is comprised of off the shelf parts that we found.  I am using 250lb springs front and rear.  Since this car will see the street as well as the track I thought that was a good compromise.  I don't have the front sway bar on the car currently as it feels pretty damn stiff with all of the additional bracing.  I am about to go pick it up later tonight,  It will have the cage in it, harnesses, seats, and the rear strut cross bar (essentially acting as a strut tower brace.) 

I still have the front to add bracing in and the sway bar for the front is not installed. 

When you gonna quit all this gay (I mean that with all love and respect) stuff like paint and consoles, and get us a timeslip? I mean, my gosh, I been following this build for like 10 years-is it too much to ask to get your ass to someplace with some timers and dump the friggin' clutch? I thought you were at least running Tx2k15, so I've been waiting to see how that went for you, but with 3 fast Zs in the area, only one of you got down the track at like part-throttle! Aahh! You are Will's testbed and the only active forum member with a squeeze box mounted on the top of your motor, so go get us some damn data!!!!!! (Edited to clean up language).

Edited by RebekahsZ