HybridZ

Texas Turbo Tom 240 to LS2/T56/Magnacharger build

If you are serious about it, I can offer mine up to you.  Let me figure out a few things. 

I have 243 heads, a Lingenfelter cam, and the Maggie 1.9 blower.  I am putting a little over 600 to the wheels..... with a factory ECU. @RebeccaZ  I would say that in  your case you should be in the upper 500s if not into the 600s depending on your heads and cam set up. 

I am on stock internals as well....

I'm not serious. I'm just bench racing. I have a lot of chassis work to do. Target date for a 200mph attempt is 2021. Just learning , reading and asking questions right now, looking at space requirements and cost. Learning about dollars (and hours) per hp, etc. I'm still trying to figure out why some folks lower compression ratio for blown motors and other successfully just strap boost onto the motor they have. Trying to deciide if I want to spend the money to build a grenade of a n/a motor, or to just skip it and go straight to boost. The guys I see going 200mph in the mile n/a pretty much buy a $20,000 NASCAR engine that has a million dollars of R&D invested into it. But they are spinning the hell out of it and have to get into dry sumps and the like. There's this BS rule that says that to get "a hat" you have to not only exceed 200mph, but you have to set a record on the same run. So it may boil down to which class still has a reacheable record when I really get serious. But I learned this year that a car going 10 miles an hour faster can drive entirely differently than when it was 10 mph slower. And I want to survive this. So it's back to the suspension. Hoping to get some hours in tomorrow, but my wife just issued the honey-do list and it doesn't look promising.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I really love the wrenching as much as the driving, so it might be fun, since the meets are going to 3 day events, to go up with a forged, built motor: run n/a on Friday, put a nitrous plate kit on it and swap the preprogrammed spare ECU to the nitrous tune, then run Fuel class on Sat, swap headers and ECU out for a turbo kit, and run Blown class on Sunday. Setting records in class on each run. That would be an epic weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a feeling this was coming.  After a shit week at work I got a call today that my motor grenaded while getting set up for the dyno.  I knew something was wrong but oil pressure, and temps were good, no issues with spark, compression was good.  We believe I spun a bearing and that was all she wrote........

so now on the hunt for another 6.2 motor and will rinse and repeat......

More updates later...   I will be keeping the bad motor for an all out balls on your chin build that will take years cause I will not compromise ( that is another subject)  This just makes it harder cause I have been selling parts to afford my Tillet racing seats..... now it all goes to a motor.... and maybe a few " while I am at it" things.....

Damm dude, that sucks. Are you going to stay with the supercharger or are you going to join the turbo fad. It seems like everyone and their sister has a turbo S30 now.

If I was you I would just build a nice motor for it now and be done with it. As you found out already running boost on a stock motor is not a good idea.

Meh I can take the humor all day. I am a grown ass man, I deal it out just as much as I take it in. Keep it coming.

At first I thought I was going to have a really nice coffee table for my garage then........... I slept on it..... just bought another 6.2 motor with 32k on it.  going through it in the next week or so and possibly changing out bearings and rod bolts.  From there plans are to rebuild the "bad" motor over time into something as bulletproof as I can get.  I will keep you guys updated on what happened as we inspect the carnage.  But it shouldn't be too bad cause it was at such low RPM when it went......

And so the Saga continues.......At least I had a "I told you so" moment with the shop... seems I might be in tune a little bit more than they give me credit..

When you do it right it is not exactly cheap, 800-1000 each time you strip it down and spray.  But yes it is a cheaper alternative to paint.  I have been so undecided on paint color it is comical.  I always keep circling back to the OEM color 920, Safari Gold ( baby shit yellow).  Something about it is just right.  In the end I think it could win out.  But there are some strong contenders. 

Balloon White ( lambo color)

Crystal White ( Lexus color)

Black ( always sexy)

A few custom Matte grey/solvers......

I still have a ways to go before I can settle in on the color.

Wraps are pretty d@mn expensive too!  I like the idea of a dark gray to keep the car stealthy.  Alloy gray on the 05-09 Mustangs is quite an awesome color.  Gray metallic during the day and looks black at night.  

Do you have any photos of your headlight conversion?  I'd like to get rid of the incandescent bulbs i have if I find the right kit.