HybridZ

Budget 388 sbc build

Getting ready to pick up a budget 388 sbc for my new project 72 240Z. Should move the car pretty well. The parts for the shortblock are not changing but may do some horse trading for some different heads(aluminum). Basic specs:

388 sbc...late model 1 pc roller block....060 overbore

Eagle cast steel crank

Scat 4340 I beam rods..arp bolts

Summit hyper pistons....9.7 to 1 comp ratio

Comp XR294HR or XR288HR

Pro-action iron 220 heads angle plug

Performer rpm/rpm air gap or vic jr intake

Holley HP Street 750 street DP

1 5/8 bock huggers

2.5" duals exhaust..x pipe

Edited by z ya

The greatest asset to performance would be good aluminum cylinder heads. What length Rods are being used in the build?

The rods are 5.7. If I can score a good trade for some 195 cc AFR/Trick Flows then that would be ideal. If not I will use what I have. The 220 Proactions flow some really nice numbers.

AFR 195's are the way to go! My 6" rod 385 with AFR 210 Eliminators, pump gas friendly car runs 10.80 at 125 in the 1/4 and 9.70's at 138-140 rolling out and hitting it with a 175 shot. This a street cruiser driven all over the Dallas, Ft. Worth area.

For my 383 stroker I picked the AFR-195 cylinder heads. They out flow any others of the same size. Looked at the $2000 AFR-195 heads at SEMA in Las Vegas and they have the same porting as the newest efficient GM/Corvette cylinder heads. Additionally, went with 6" rods and SRP professional pistons to reduce reciprocating weight and internally balanced same with Scat Crank and Rods. Also only trust front FLUID filled balancer/damper not any of that rattling crap or rubber. To reduce spark scatter at the distributor used PRECISE Jackson Timing Gear Drive which will far outlast chain drive which develop slack which translates to spark scatter at the distributor. Used highly baffled oil pan along with Big Block Oil Pump for even less spark scatter.

I wish I could do some AFR's on this motor but most likley going to have to work with what I have right now. My old 408 sbc in my Camaro had AFR 195's and the current motor a 491 BBC has AFR 315's. Here are some flow numbers from what I found. A little weak on lo lift but pretty dang good from .500 on up...

.100....I/E......68/55

.200.............127/99

.300.............182/132

.400.............232/159

.500.............269/184

.600.............290/191

.700.............301/201

Zfan1 whats your total combo?? Motor/trans/converter/etc...Thanks!

Sounds very similar to a motor I installed in my boat. I used Scatt crank and 6 in. rods, Dart Iron eagle, Keith Black 9.7 pistons, cam sounds about the same although mine is a reverse turn motor and a worked marine Q-jet. STRONG motor. With aluminum heads I would love to have this motor in a car.

Zfan1 whats your total combo?? Motor/trans/converter/etc...Thanks!

Eagle 4340 forged nitrided crank

6" Eagle H-Beam rods

JE 5cc pistons w/.054 MLS head gaskets, equals 10.83 to 1 compression

Comp custom grind billet cam 249/255 599/606 w/110 ls

Comp HD. Hyd. roller lifters

Comp double roller springs 145 lbs on the seat 410 open

Mildly ported AFR 210 Eliminator heads

Edelbrock ported Victor Jr. intake and Proform 750 DP carb

All MSD ignition with 32 degree's total timing on motor and 23 degree's timing on a 175 shot.

Transmission is a built 1989 Corvette 700R4 with an 9.5" Edge 3800 rpm converter

Rear end is a LSD 3.70 rear gear with Modern Motorsports goodies.

Thanks for the reply zfan! Sounds like a sick set up for sure. Mine for sure will be more budget but should still run well. Longtubes or shorts? 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 headers? 2.5 or 3" exhaust?

They are long tube, Hooker Super comps 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" collectors, crappy I know. I would like to have a set of 1 3/4" by 3".

I think the 1 3/4 may pick your combo up a bit but not much. They didn't on my 408 in my Camaro. Are you running 2.5" or 3" exhaust? X pipe H pipe or regular?

2 1/2" with H pipe. I use a single Turbo Deisel muffler, dual 2 3/4" in and out. It's a nutty combo but the muffler is a straight thru design and super quiet.

Pretty quiet combo

Way cool set up! I love it. May have to get that part # on that Muffler one of these days! If possible could you pm me your email address as to o would like to try and model mine somewhat to your car. Killer set up!

Way cool set up! I love it. May have to get that part # on that Muffler one of these days! If possible could you pm me your email address as to o would like to try and model mine somewhat to your car. Killer set up!

pm'd you my email address if you have any questions

Mike