HybridZ

WRX R-160 in 280Z?

Ejkej

Hi Guys!

I know that other options were discussed here and I've read the topic on the R-180 installation, but want your opinion on the R-160.

WRX diffs are common and relatively cheap - opposing to the STI ones, and my main goal is not LSD but 3.9, 4,11 gear ratio.

The question is - would installing a R-160 be similar to R-180? Can I go the same route? Swapping drive-shaft flange, and fabricating R-160 axles so they fit the stock 280Z flanges?

Are there any cons of that sollution? I know that R-160s are weaker than R-180, but my HP goals are not huge - I will be happy if I achieve 170-180 HP on the wheels.

Is there anything that makes this swap impossible/very difficult?

OK, I have found some info on R-160 on zcar:

- should be good for auto-x events

- the temp might be an issue

- hard launching as well - that might be a problem I like to step my foot down hard.

Any experience?

Thanks!

Edited by Ejkej

If you want those diff ratios, manual ZXs 81-83 have a 3.9 (and if your car is a stock manual it will bolt right in).

If yours was an auto, or has an R-180, or don't mind going to an R-180, the Nissan truck front diffs in a 4.11 are pretty easy to find. There was 3 in a yard local to me.