HybridZ

72' 240z fuel tank conversion

jakeoster

Hey guys I just wanted some thoughts on making a 240z tank accept an in tank fuel pump. Im running an RB25DET and need to get something figured out. I have an Aeromotive stealth fuel cell with an in tank pump but after looking at it its going to cost too much money, require too much hacking, and kill the "sleeperness" that my Z currently possesses.

Why do I want to do this?

1. Retain OEM stock look (keep away fuzz, ricers, claim my 240z is completely stock from 1972 after pulling on punk kids that seem to gravitate towards my Z).

2. Eliminate or at least significantly reduce the highly annoying buzz my external pump currently emits

3. Keep fuel pump cooler

5. Keep fuel consistently going to my engine under hard driving circumstances

I did a search but did'nt come up with much.

Thanks.

I thought it was jerryb who set up a group buy for a ring you weld onto the stock tank so that you can put in baffles, and an in tank pump, but I'm not finding anything from searching. But it has been done. I'll edit my post if I find anything. I'm kinda thinking it might've been 1tuffZ but I don't think that's right.

Edited by rturbo 930

Jakeoster,

If you want to go the all in approach, have it plastisoled(sp?) by these guys gastankrenu.com... They will seperate the tank, blast, clean then apply the plastisol (sort of like plastic powdercoating), then reatatch and lastly paint the outside. It isnt as cheap as buying the eastwood self cleaner kit, but it provides you with a protective coating and freshened metal underneath. I had a 75' tank done at the Bellflower gastankrenu, but sold it as I found out about the ATl black box method.

As has been pointed out on other related threads, having a tank of fuel in the engine bay next to a hot turbo charged engine only adds to the safety concerns. Another member here, (forget screen name), had a beautifully tigged tank, just looked amazingly well done, leak and start a small fire. I was personally turned off to this idea once monster and others showed the ATL black box option. Fuel pump, baffled all in one small package keeping fuel in the main tank and eliminating another potential fire hazard. I know there are many here that do run the surge tank method with good results, but I'm just thinking that if you can go another route without needing to potentially add a pot of fuel into a hot environment why take the risk?

As for cleaning, I'd recommend POR's marine clean. It made quick work of the junk in my tank and left it looking spotless. It doesn't break the bank either and is usually available locally.

I'm planning on doing something similar to RTz for my install and will make my own ring/plate on my buddy's torchmate. If you guys are looking for something of the same let me know and I'll get back to you with a price and time estimate.

Here's what RTz came up with.

Edited by cockerstar

As for cleaning, I'd recommend POR's marine clean. It made quick work of the junk in my tank and left it looking spotless. It doesn't break the bank either and is usually available locally.

I'm planning on doing something similar to RTz for my install and will make my own ring/plate on my buddy's torchmate. If you guys are looking for something of the same let me know and I'll get back to you with a price and time estimate.

Here's what RTz came up with.

Thanks for the link!

And the reason I don't want to go with a surge tank I'd because that would be 2x the external pumps which adds even more noise for this mostly street driven car.

This is what is in my car, looking to fire it in a month or so I will have a report on performance. I took the tank to a shop to have it hottanked, $100 (ouch!). I also had another machinist make me a "nut ring". Got a good deal on that, $40. Use sealant of your choice. Stock R33 pump.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/94261-bonks-efi-fuel-tank/

Hope that helps.

Bonk

What kind of fuel pump(s) are you using? Ive got a walbro 255 (not a chinese knock off that says walbro from ebay) and the thing is extremely quiet. Ive got mine mounted just in front of the gas tank and struggle to hear it prime the engine, let alone if theres -any- kind of other noise. The engine idling alone makes the fuel pump inaudible.

Have to agree with Sideways here. I've got a pair of pumps w/ surge tank mounted in the rear, isolated with rubber standoffs. With the standoffs installed, you have to listen carefully to hear the pumps before startup (the pump noise drove me crazy - I'm a bit OCD about extraneous noises). That said, building the whole thing into the tank is a "cleaner" solution, for sure. I begs 2 questions, though: 1) Will you have access to the pump without dropping the tank? And, 2) Will you have to split the tank to install baffles? I've learned from personal experience that fuel starvation can be tough to beat, and only occurs at the most embarrassing moments...

Bonk,

Thanks for posting pics of your install! It's a really good visual for those who haven't seen the inside of the tank before, and really takes a lot of the mystery out of the conversion.

I've got a design worked out for an entire kit, and just have a few refining questions to iron out a few details, with the main one being, which fuel pump are you guys running? Walboro 255's and Bosch 044's seem to be favorites, but I want to be sure since the kit is based around the pump ;)

If you could check out my thread in the Vendor's forum, here, that would be great!

Scott,

With an in-tank pump in the s30 chassis, I don't know of any way to have access to the pump without dropping the tank, short of cutting an access hole (slightly bigger than the top plate) in the hatch floor. The good news is that dropping the tank is pretty easy if the pump needs servicing. I do agree that not having to would be easiest though.

As for baffling, my kit won't require splitting the tank for installation. The baffles and the pump are all housed in the same assembly that drops right into the tank and is securely mounted to the tank itself (not held in place by the fuel lines).

Cockerstar,

I played around at Rockauto to find a part # for a pump, then went shopping. My reason for doing that was only because I wanted the stock fpr to see the same pump action as the stock configuration, basically tricking it to think it was still in the skyline/stagia. I wouldn't go this route if I had to do it again. I am taking a risk if the pump goes belly up. If I have to replace the pump I will go Bosch and adjust the height of the plumbing accordingly.

Bonk