HybridZ

Mech fuel pump with V8 swap

I know you cant run the the mech fuel pump with the JTR mounts but has anyone fabbed any mounts with the V8 that will allow it?? This is with still keeping the motor set back like the JTR not Hooker mounts. I really cant stand the sound of the damn electrics and have a a nice Carter 172 pump at home.

Just use the stock efi pump with a return style fuel pressure regulator. A quiet and durable setup.

Aeromotive makes a nice return style fpr that goes down to 5 psi.

What stock efi pump?? An intank or external?? I have an Summit 140GPH pump here from my dad's old v8 280. But his was dead headed. Thing is I already have a nice Carter 172 mech pump with the nice filter and proper length pump to carb -8 line. Sure would be nice to have no noise and the reliability of a mech pump.

He is talking about the stock datsun electric fuel pump. I have been over this with them in several posts. The stock datsun efi fuel pump will flow quite a bit of fuel at lower psi. You just have to make sure you have a quality fpr that will regulate the 35psi down to 4.5-5.5 or whatever your carb likes.

He is talking about the stock datsun electric fuel pump. I have been over this with them in several posts. The stock datsun efi fuel pump will flow quite a bit of fuel at lower psi. You just have to make sure you have a quality fpr that will regulate the 35psi down to 4.5-5.5 or whatever your carb likes.

Oh ok...so use a 280z fuel pump?? Im guessing the tank as well. The aeromotive fpr looks like it wont work. The low pressure spring is for 3-25 and high pressure from 25-65 or something.

Edited by z ya

I made 350+ RWHP on the stock EFI pump running no more than 23psi. They are extremely quiet when at idle and only pumping 3.5psi through a return-style regulator. At 23-25psi (21-22psi of boost) nobody really was interested in what noise the fuel pump was making! :P

Why reinvent the wheel? If it fits in the chassis, use it. I've used on on the carbed blow-through setup for years. Fuel Flow for 350HP is fuel flow for 350HP. Showed no signs of being undersized in that application whatsoever.

I run the pressure switch to power a relay that will only start the pump when oil pressure is reached. This keeps things quite until the engine starts, the engine exhaust make it difficult to hear the pump. You do have to prime the fuel system if you change a carb or something.

Thanks guys for the info. Well I think for pure ease and budget Im going to keep what I have for now. Its a Summit 140GPH electric pump. Its a bit loud but Im sure if I run it with a return it will be quieter than the deadhead set up my dad was using. Most liely with a have the stock 240 tank sumped as well.