HybridZ

My First Z Build-Road Course

So this is my first build ever, should be interesting. I recently purchased a series 1970 240Z. The body is very stright except for the normal rust areas-floor pans and spare wheel well. This is going to be a good 8months to a year project. Building the car into a Daily driver/Full race preped car. Here are a few pics

Enjoy!!!

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Images way to large. Please resize before posting.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good start. You have quite a bit of work ahead of you. Worries me seeing just two lug nuts holding on that wheel. One of the first things you need to take care of.

As for a track car, the rust in the wheel well may not be all that big a deal. If you're not worried about a restoration, just cut that section out and put sheetmetal there. You'll be running a fuel cell anyway (right?).

619aa563.jpg

4ce4f75e.jpg

2a2895e0.jpg

01dc51a3.jpg

I have got a lot done in the past few nights. Just started to get the pics together and decided to share with you all.

Got a bunch done for the couple hour a night I get to work on it.

Once the I build new floors done I will start building the cage. So John C. If you are watching let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed.

Enjoy

What I have done so far---

Took all the body panels,windows, trim,lights,wiring,weather stripping, engine/tranny passenger floor,dash board all out.

If it is a track day car and nothing more, then you're free to do what you want. If you think you might race autox or door to door with an actual sanctioning body, you can quickly make the car ineligible for a bunch of classes by doing things like subframe connectors.

Figure out the class first, then build the car to suit. And I would suggest you look really hard at 75_5.0L_Z's cage for a street car. He doesn't have halo or A pillar bars. The Z just isn't tall enough to get those bars far enough away from your head unless you're pretty short. I know I'm not alone in the opinion that a full cage basically renders a Z a track only car, because you really don't want to get in an accident without a helmet on.

If it is a track day car and nothing more, then you're free to do what you want. If you think you might race autox or door to door with an actual sanctioning body, you can quickly make the car ineligible for a bunch of classes by doing things like subframe connectors.

Figure out the class first, then build the car to suit. And I would suggest you look really hard at 75_5.0L_Z's cage for a street car. He doesn't have halo or A pillar bars. The Z just isn't tall enough to get those bars far enough away from your head unless you're pretty short. I know I'm not alone in the opinion that a full cage basically renders a Z a track only car, because you really don't want to get in an accident without a helmet on.

Not too worried about that. My biggest concern is safety and riggity. I drive a jeep with a true full cage in it daily and not much more room than the z. I can't stand half cages do to the fact it's only a half cage only half the protection. After being it a roll over in high school in my buddy's truck. Is full cage in anything fast or slow for off road use and street use. If in an accident on the street in the z or jeep it's gonna hurt no matter what. Just saying. If I end up wanting to do a certain none modified classes then I will build another z. But for now I am going custom look and safety

I have only about 12 hours into my build so far. I have a 11 month old so the only time I get is an hour or 2 during the day and a couple hours at night if I done have a honey do list going

I guess being a mechanic pays off sometimes

Finished smoothing the welds last night and filling the old antana hole

Here's some pics

3893770d.jpg

e4694ccd.jpg

d62756b5.jpg

f5bc8482.jpg

At least download the SCCA GCR from their web site (scca.org) and use the roll cage rules (Section 9.4) as the basis for your cage design and material selection. They have 61 years of experience with cars crashing on a road race track and their specified designs save a lot of lives every year.

At least download the SCCA GCR from their web site (scca.org) and use the roll cage rules (Section 9.4) as the basis for your cage design and material selection. They have 61 years of experience with cars crashing on a road race track and their specified designs save a lot of lives every year.

Have all the SCCA rules downloaded. Will be diffently building the cage to thier specs. Makes class entry's a little easier

Right now going to be doing the NCRC open track days to get the time behind the wheel. Just had my first track day on Sept 23. Had a blast

Used my buddies car

It's a 73 240z with a f54 block w/ flat tops, P79 head, all stock. Triple 44 mikuni's header and lightened flywheel.

Here's the vid