HybridZ

My First Z Build-Road Course

Great first run, Robb! I love the sound of the triples.

Coming from someone with maybe 300-400 track days, I'd say you did very well! Just remember, a turn is ALWAYS a fail if you don't get that apex! Fun stuff. It's like golf, there's no such thing as a perfect round! (Well, unless you're Leh Keen or Tiger Woods). I can't wait to get my project done (that I haven't even bought yet) and get out to the track! You're in Rocklin. I'm actually picking up the next project in Sacramento this week sometime. Would love to see yours while I'm in town! I live in Redding.

Peace out, and very good work behind the wheel! Keep it up!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great first run, Robb! I love the sound of the triples.

Coming from someone with maybe 300-400 track days, I'd say you did very well! Just remember, a turn is ALWAYS a fail if you don't get that apex! Fun stuff. It's like golf, there's no such thing as a perfect round! (Well, unless you're Leh Keen or Tiger Woods). I can't wait to get my project done (that I haven't even bought yet) and get out to the track! You're in Rocklin. I'm actually picking up the next project in Sacramento this week sometime. Would love to see yours while I'm in town! I live in Redding.

Peace out, and very good work behind the wheel! Keep it up!

Thanks!!!! Had a blast. That's why I am going nuts on building mine. The only thing that is slowing me down is $$$. Wish it would grow on trees

Not working on the beast tonight didn't get any sleep last night. But tomarrow night will start prepping the body for a ton of stitch welding.

Alright so I started to strip some paint off the drivers rear of the car cause I saw some bondo. Next thing I relize there is over a 1/4" think section of bondo. So I had to see what laid benith. DAMN.!!! More patching is going to need to be done I think

4ced60a4.jpg

Very nice!!!!

Trust me, I know how people pick the craziest things out of pics to comment on, but why not take off the door catches? We cadmium coated mine and they really were always a point of comment/example of the car being "so clean". Maybe you aren't to that point, which I'm sure's the case. But since you're so darn close to them... the doors on mine stayed shut anyway (in the shop, that is).

Again, SO NICE! Great skills, man.

Very nice!!!!

Trust me, I know how people pick the craziest things out of pics to comment on, but why not take off the door catches? We cadmium coated mine and they really were always a point of comment/example of the car being "so clean". Maybe you aren't to that point, which I'm sure's the case. But since you're so darn close to them... the doors on mine stayed shut anyway (in the shop, that is).

Again, SO NICE! Great skills, man.

Thanks man!!! Yea haven't got to that point yet. Just getting some of the major repairs out of the way and testing my fabing abilities. I have never done any body work except for buffing paint. Really enjoying building this car and seeing what it will shape out too. Taking a break on it tonight. Need to just relax before I design a rotisserie for it. Then it's going to get the new floors and frame rails. Then of course a full SCCA legal roll cage.. So did you pick up that car over the weekend?

Edited by robbs70z

Little bit of Nissan trivia... see those four square nuts welded on the inner panel? That was done for homologation reasons to allow installation of a Nissan factory roll bar. You only see these on early cars.

Very interesting! I can't seem to find pictures of what that bar would have looked like. Do you have any pictures you would share?

Started to remove all the sound deadening crap tuesday night and prepping the rear strut towers for some welding

b5864e48.jpg

The last night removed the rest of the sound deadening crap off the tranny tunnel.

e2623e65.jpg

Then welded up the rear strut towers this morning

a024a15a.jpg

And a close up of the welds. LOVE my Hobart!!!

c0306f2f.jpg

Now starting on the roof. Found some dents and I hate bondo if you haven't guessed that now

4640c80f.jpg

Havent had much time to wok on the beast for about week. Finally got to work on her yesterday. Finished stripping the rest of the paint of the rear quarters and rear of the car. Beat out the dents in the roof and discovered that the right rear section of the rocker has seen better days. More patch work :(

687b6bc4.jpg

Edited by robbs70z

You are doing great work. I just drug my early 260Z (9/73) into my shop last weekend, and I am having a blast. Not moving as fast as you, but making some progress. Found a tool that works GREAT for removing undercoating (I have some patching to do in the floors and floor rails, too). Cheap Harbor Freight oscillating multi-tool. I got done in an hour tonight, what took me three evenings to do last week! And WAY less mess. I was using a wire wheel on an angle grinder before, and that sh#t goes EVERYWHERE.

Congrats again on the great quality work you are doing.

Thanks. Which tool are talking about. I have been using a wire wheel w/ the grinder and yea it is taking for ever. The mess isn't too bad I put tarps down to catch most of the mess. Still need to do the fenders, hood, deck lid and doors. So diffenitly want to try that tool.

more pics please! im getting ready to do the exact same thing you are doing now tomorrow actually! lol and im interested in how you are planning to do your rotisseire. where do you plan on mounting them? i was planning on just using two engine stands with some square tubing welded to the stands and bolt the car to the tubing. easy and cheap but im now looking for ideas and would love input. i plan on using the car for the occasional drift day and daily driver. got almost all of the parts gathered or at least ordered and will be dropping the head and block off at the machine shop tomorrow. ms2 turbo power!

marcus

Started to build the rotisserie today. A little over kill but want to know I can get in the car while doing the full cage. Will be building the heads for the rotisserie in a few days hopefully. Hard to say. Have to put gears and air lockers in my dads Jeep this weekend. So if not diffenitly next week

Enjoy

05ecf718.jpg

379763c2.jpg

3452d9c0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't put up any updates. Will start working on the car again this weekend some. Did gears and air lockers in my dads jeep a couple weeks ago and when driving it to break in the gears his 401 amc broke a valve spring and bent a handful of push rods. So I had to do a half top end rebuild all new valve springs and push rods. He is back up and going so now my z can get some attention