HybridZ

robello stroker engine vs home built stroker

intangible3

I talked to rebello acouple weeks ago about at stroker motor. If I supply motor and crank they would build a 3.2 stroker all forged internals for around $7000 based off my hp requirements. For around $10,000 I would have a 400hp l28et turn key motor, if I supply parts and ems.

I built a 3.0 liter with Rebello's parts. I would not recommend it if you have not built an engine before. My cousin did most of the assembly because he is a machinist and has built several L4 series racing engines. It ended up around $6k. Scheduled to dyno it next Saturday. If I make around 200-225 hp I'd be excited. I'm at 5280 elevation so I'll be down a little on power compared to sea level.

The ONLY way to know is to CALL REBELLO.

Anything else 'my quote was X', 'my quote was y' is all internet jerking off. You won't know until you call with YOUR requirements and let Dave tell you the way he thinks you should proceed.

Many times people calling in with a specific list of requirements inflate a job cost over just simply giving final end-use requirements and letting Dave figure out a combination that should work best for you.

This happens all the time in my industry too. I can sell a $250,000 compressor which will give the EXACT SAME AIRFLOW AND QUALITY as a unit that costs $12,000,000 (this is NOT an exaggeration!)....

But a customer comes to us with a specification, and we will build to it. Because we meet THEIR specification WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS they will buy from us for $12,000,000 rather than spend a FRACTION of that for another machine with a list of 'Exceptions to Specification' 4" thick. Often we get the comment "you're the only RFQ Respondent that met ALL of our specification without any exceptions!"

Sure, we'll build ANYTHING you want...just a matter of how much you want to pay! I'm a compressor *****, what can I say? :P

10k for a 400hp L28ET eh?.... Mighty spendy for such a simple power solution. Has anyone here with 400+whp with their turbo L spent more than 10k? And if you have, are all those parts actually on the car? I know some have gone through 2, 3 or 4 turbo setups, multiple intakes, etc. That starts to get expensive. :-D

I hope this doesn't sound to arrogant, but I bet I could make a fairly reliably 400hp L28ET for under 5k. Only reason I haven't is that I have less than 2k in my ENTIRE CAR.

I'm surprised at you guys! Where is the support, the belief, and the joy of engine building. Where is the encouragement to help a fellow enthusiast to go build his own. Most of us have done it and with an NA L Series, piece of cake!!

Intangeble3, Yes, I believe you can build a 250 horse Honda killer for less than 6K. My suggestion? Start with a fresh, stock L28 short block that is balanced. Search in hear for the best head tricks, port, polish and manifold match. Add trip Webbers or Mikunis ( if you can find them). Pick out your favorite cam and go one step hotter. And the coup de gras? Nitrous!!

Start a thread and add all your steps. Everybody will chime in with their two cents worth.

Have fun!! Go fast!!

I agree with spending $10k is crazy for 400hp L series engine. Also you can build it yourself or hell - get a junkyard or cheap 280zxt and swap that engine in.

Like Cygnusx1 said spend sometime searching here on the L28ET swaps. I have found my last two donor cars both under 70,000 miles for less than $200. There are plenty of people here making 350rwhp on engines that have over 100,000 miles on them. Intake, turbo, inter-cooler and other supporting mods will get you to where you want to be. Doubt it will come anywhere near $10k. I am building my first engine EVER and it is a 3.0 L. This engine is setup to be a 3 liter turbo engine. Like stated, start a thread and take your time I am sure you will be able to get through it.

Now if money isn't a problem and you don't have the time to do it yourself...then call Dave and buy a turn key! ;)

You wanna kill hondas...

$350 PNP L28et, N/A ZX 5spd, used 450cc injectors, Z31 hot wire MAF & ECU, Z31 turbo turbine exhaust elbow, some sort of FPR thats adjustable(i used a 90's Z28 Camero FPR and modified it to fit the stock fuel rail and made it adjustable), 248lph fuel pump, at least 8mm feed and return lines, fuel sump pickup system of some sort, and a good radiator. Make the appropriate adjustments to the wastegate to prevent stalling. This will easily get you into the "250-300 hp" range. An intercooler will help somewhat(but I never ran one).

Make sure you do not have any funny AFR's on the dyno and begin the Honda killing process. Civic's and CRX's with B16B swaps in stock 180hp trim and 9200 rpm redlines still will not be able to touch it.

Why do you need a stroker motor to do that?

If you want to beat absolutely stock (unswapped)Hondas you only need a 240Z with a mildly built L28.

If you want the nostalgia of a Stroker thats different business. But as Tony pointed out its all about criteria.

...spend sometime searching here on the L28ET swaps. I have found my last two donor cars both under 70,000 miles for less than $200. There are plenty of people here making 350rwhp on engines that have over 100,000 miles on them. Intake, turbo, inter-cooler and other supporting mods will get you to where you want to be...

I personally use a pretty similar list to rayaapp2 a couple custom parts I made in machine shop class and I make 410hp at the wheels on 110 leaded, and 350 oh pump gas at around 20-25 lbs, but I keep her under 16lbs 95% of the time to try and make it last longer. And I haven't even gotten a aftermarket ecu yet!

Ditto Larcis.

Mild port and cam with 350 on CA pump gas and 21psi, but usually at 17 to use cheap gas as a daily driver!

With an unported head and stock cam results were similar, but on higher octane and totally different driving characteristics.